Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Sunday 26 July 2015


Not everyone wakes up on Sunday morning, hoping it is raining, but we did today.  And not only was it raining, it was raining hard enough to have the desired effect.  Cricket was cancelled!
Mr Cooper was very pleased with this result, and settled down happily to listen to radio 4, and to look forward to roast chicken.
 Last sunday the weather was glorious, as was the cricket tea that I produced.  When I went over to the ground to set it all out, Mr Cooper was busy fielding.  He actually chooses to be the wicket keeper!  I think I would prefer to be in 'silly mid-off' but always watching out for any 'googlies'.
 As I laid out the last plate of cakes (iced ginger shortbreads, to be precise), one of the opposition said to me "And how many of those cakes have you actually made?'  
I felt justifiably smug when I said "All of them, actually" which wiped the smirk from his face and happily they went on to narrowly lose the game, ha ha!

Last weekend, as well as baking and buttering, I spent quite a time getting ready for the 'Hands on your Memories' workshop.  As this was to be the first workshop in a new venture, I packed lots of varied materials to cover a range of outcomes.  There were so many 'unknown factors' that I wasn't even sure whether the target audience would be there.  
The brief was to facilitate the making of 'memory cushions' for elderly members of the community in Fratton.  It was a good job that I was geared to be flexible as none the people who attended were elderly, most of them had children at school, one woman had a young daughter with her, and almost all of the participants Bangladeshi. It was a pleasure to work with them, and it became a really fun and productive 2 hours, with most of the women wanting to know when date for the next workshop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUNZxyZDE1I

And on a purely personal level, it was also really fascinating to see my material remnants become a different work of art in another's hands.  Here are some of the results.


This design features motifs cut from one of my Christmas dress fabrics, plus edging for the aprons I made for close friends and family, after my garden wedding to Mr Cooper.  It is going to become the design on the back of a denim jacket.


This little bag is made from the dress fabric that I wore in the evening of my register office wedding, again to Mr Cooper.



This one is made from my 'posh summer frock' fabric, plus apron decoration.


And lastly, posh summer frock, whacky summer frock and Christmas dress.
It was really uplifting to see them being used in many different ways.  

I am looking forward to meeting Melanie Rose this coming Friday, at the Aspex Gallery, who is leading this new venture which I am so pleased to be part of.  http://www.aspex.org.uk/events/generate-workshops-for-people-with-dementia/

On Friday I was all set to start work on the crucifixion image, but not without trepidation.  As well as the importance and significance of the subject matter, it is a very technically challenging project, and I have spent many an hour last week lying in bed in the middle of the night, considering ways to overcome some of these.  The first challenge was actually one I had not foreseen.  As soon as I started the initial preparations, the heavens opened so I was unable to carry the work to my shed, and had to quickly transform the dining room into a temporary studio space.  

Mr Cooper does so love it when I spread my work out all around the house!
You will see no more of this project now until it has made its first appearance, when Nigel White preaches for the first time. http://www.missiontent.co.uk/

But after that first obstacle, work proceeded swiftly, which was handy as the dining room is needed this Sunday, when it will be filled with friends Susie and Werner, and roast chicken.  Plus a chocolate and raspberry pavlova to follow.

Book club next Wednesday.  I look forward to it with interest, as the choice was mine. It proved to be a remarkably interesting book, but in no way an easy read. Half way through it, I took a light-hearted break from it, to read a modern day version of Emma.


I found this book most enjoyable, and a really good interpretation of 'Emma'.  As well as being a Jane Austen fan, I very much enjoy the works of Alexander McCall Smith, especially those set in Edinburgh, unlike my Mum and big bro.  
(Thanks for the book you sent me, Si, I am really looking forward to reading it)

So, here is the book I chose for the girls to read,


I think that our opinions of it will be extremely varied, and the book will not have been liked by many.
But all will be revealed on Wednesday.

I whole-heartedly agree with the comment by Anthony Burgess from the back of the book,


                                                                                   and I will re-read the book very soon. 
If I used some of the phrases as quotes, not only would it be extremely funny, but also highly offensive! 
You will have to read the book, to see what I mean.  If it were a programme on TV, there would be many and varied  warnings about it!

And I leave this week with something else to look forward to, which is definitely not washing up at 'The Greyhound'!  If you ever want a difficult 12 hours, make sure you are in an extremely hot and busy kitchen with 2 chefs who are actively hating each other, falling out, and generally making life difficult for all.  Thank goodness for the 'Young At Heart Club' whose friendship humour makes a sometimes bad experience bearable!

What I am looking forward to, as well as roast chicken, lunch in 'The Moose' pub on Monday, and book club, is another commission.
  My friend Gareth the poet's mum wants me to paint her a seagull in flight, against a blue sky/rocky cliff background.  I went to tell my shelf of seagulls this, and most of them immediately spread their wings, hoping I would choose them to be the model for it!


Wishing you all a happily productive week ahead. 
 I look forward to sharing the coming week with you all.  And don't forget to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment