Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 7 December 2015

Cooking is very much to the fore in my life this week.  Christmas gets closer, and presents need to be made.
Luckily, this little booklet I purchased from a vintage shop should help me with my present-making.
What could be better than a chutney consisting of bananas, dates, apples and black treacle, all stirred together, and cooked inside the oven?
The recipe sounded so amazingly horrific that I had to give it a go.  Will let you know the results nearer the end of the blog, when all is bottled.


I try to avoid tidying and cleaning the house, Mr Cooper does it so much better than me after all, but I have been tidying my photos from long ago.  I had almost forgotten the Black Forest afternoon, when I baked a tremendous black Forest gateau, when was further fortified by extra layers of chocolate buttercream! The cake was intended to inspire some artwork.  Sarah and Gareth came round to help devour it, and it did inspire Gareth to have 2 slices, a decision which we all thought was foolish, including Gareth after he had embarked on the second slice.


The photos I took of the eating of the cake did work as an inspiration, and I produced my first 'food art' lino-cuts, based on a slice of Black Forest gateau.  If you are inspired to become the owner of one of these prints, do get in touch with me, as I did get rather carried away………...


….and recently discovered about 20 original works of Black Forest art nestling in my plan chest.

When I became 50 years old, Mr Cooper demonstrated how well he knew me, by giving me this birthday card.  I spent a happy Saturday morning last weekend doing one of my favourite occupations (cooking) in readiness for friends coming over to dine later…………….

……...when I would be able to combine that favourite occupation with another I hold dear.
Mr Cooper was the photographer for my interpretation, inspired by the card, and he suggested I should have the oven door open, as above.
Artistically a good idea, but did I want to spend a couple of hours cleaning the oven first?
Closed it is!


Now I have the Christmas tree fairy in my possession, I felt inspired to do my first festive bake.  When we were little, Mum always made mince pies with bright green icing.  When I grew older, and visited friend's houses, I realised that this was not how any other families enjoyed their mince pies.  In fact, apart from Mum and her mum, and sisters, nobody else seemed to be producing this festive treat.


Combined with the fairy, and a shiny doiley, these will become my first illustration for the 'Green Donkey Cookery Book'.  What could be more fitting as a first illustration for it than green mince pies?
I just need to find the right green food colouring.
The above are not as lurid as those we enjoyed in the 70s!  No wonder we spent a lot of time running around outside.

And outside was where I went the next Saturday, to complete the 2nd half of the Octagen walk with Mr Cooper.  We started from Compton, and ended at Walderton this time.  I hadn't been by Racton ruin for some time, and was pleased to see the fence had been removed so we were able to go right up to it.


In fact, inside the ruin there was a distinct 'modern art' feel.
But however brightly coloured parts of it are, its overall mood is a sombre and brooding one.
 Not a place to spend the night, unless as part of a large and jolly group.


Have you noticed how seamless my links are this week, from one image to the next?
Taking on the ghostly theme……………...


This has to be one of my favourite authors, and most favourite mystery series.  If you are not already familiar with Flavia de Luce, you must rectify the situation.  The first one of the series is 'the Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie'.  and when you have totally fallen in love with that book you can look forward to reading the next five!
And what about the sweetness at the bottom of my oven? (another seamless link!)
When I first read the recipe, I thought that it could only be awful, or amazing.  And thankfully, it has gone down the amazing route.  It did take an act of faith to do what the recipe asked you to, but the end result is deliciously different, and I feel moved to share this recipe with you.


I cooked it at 140 c, and stirred it three times throughout.  I also cooked it for two and a quarter hours, and put it whilst still hot into warmed jars.  When it says 'bake for about 2 hours until a rich chocolate colour, you will get a rich, very dark chocolate colour.  Do not expect Galaxy or Dairy Milk here.

I hope you are able to enjoy your festive season preparations in the coming week.  I am determined to do advance preparations to avoid that 'totally frazzled' feeling that does tend to take away from the magic of Christmas.
I might braise some red cabbage this evening.  Perhaps a G and T would help me as I chop………
Or perhaps a nice cup of tea instead.  It is only Monday, after all.
I hope you enjoy the week ahead. See you next week.
Until then, have fun whilst staying on top of things.


No comments:

Post a Comment