Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 14 March 2016

Another busy, but on the whole successful, week.  A big success was that I was still standing at the end of it!  Last Sunday, Mothering Sunday, I went with Mum for a trip to the local garden centre, and there we ran into the Bradshaws, doing similar.  (Philip and Jayne, son Marcus and Philip's Mum)
We chatted about the forthcoming 'Sunny Hunny' holiday, as the Bradshaws always join us for a day.  Then as Philip said he always looked forward to reading my blog, and Jayne said she loved the kitchen photo series, what else could I do but have a dressing up day the following Sunday?
(To be honest, I don't need much encouragement on that front.)  It adds a different dimension doing veg prep whilst wearing heels!  I urge you to give it a try, unless of course you are doing it already.


I was going to focus on another area of the kitchen, perhaps to show off the new curtains, but quite frankly this is still the only decorated and tidy area of the room.  We are getting there, though.

Since deciding to wake up and then write for 10 minutes, during the whole of Lent, I have had less time to read. Especially when most of my free time has now become decorating time......you can begin to see why being upright at the end of a busy working week was indeed a success!
But, I did find enough time to read and very much enjoy the following book.  A really good story. 


It was during the week that I sadly decided that my dungarees are almost at the end of their working life.  (I think Mr Cooper had come to this decision some time ago.)  We have been together for many years now, (both me, Mr Cooper, and the dungarees) but parts of the dungarees are now no longer together!

As I look at this photo now, it seems to be like one of those images that include clues about a person's life.  In this case, 2 painted canvases,* and a wine rack.  Plus only a little bit of the clothes dryer, and a little bit of that area of life suits me fine.  (Mr Cooper is so much better at laundry matters than me.)


It is not the fact that my beloved dungarees are covered in paint that is the problem, (they are almost capable of standing up on their own now), but rather that there are so many large rips that I am now unable to wear them out of the house.  But there is  another pair, waiting in the wings.........


.................and since I have been sorting things out, I have been going through photos from years ago.  Here I am at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 1988, just a week before John was born, clad in my favourite maternity gear!





 They are not the pair I am currently wearing!

Whilst I was working away last Tuesday, Jordan wished me 'Happy International Women's Day'.
 I had been invited to a celebratory event, but had to decline in order to try to keep the wolves from the door.  "Well", I said to Jordan, "I am doing what women should be doing.  Not only am I very firmly in the kitchen, but I am most definitely at the sink.  And to make matters even better, the head of the house (Mr Cooper of course, not me) was meeting friends for a pub lunch, and then dining out at night with best mate Kev."  Which, as my Mum would say, is only right and proper.

Last week, Sonia and I delivered our first workshop at Havelock Community Centre.  It went well, and we left looking forward to the following one.  What a lovely surprise we had, as at the start of the session, the room filled quickly and soon 15 women were busy making, sewing and planning, and wanting us to return the following week.
 There were 7 present, the previous week.  The word had spread!


We packed up with a really good sense of achievement. 
It is very exciting to be part of the start of a venture, but thrilling when it is already so well received.

And later that evening, I had time to think of this.  I had the rare pleasure of an evening in, and alone.  Just me and my sketch book, and the remote control.  And, as you can see from the spillage, a glass or two of red.



Yes I must take john to the garden at Compton Acres, when I find out where that is**, and yes I must make a jacket from the most soft, slightly furry, dotted pink fabric, from The Eternal Maker.
 https://www.eternalmaker.com/

As this week draws to a close, and as I was gathering my library books to return them (do you remember libraries? Big buildings full of books, which you can borrow for free!!  What a good idea, do you think it will catch on?) I spotted a marker I had placed in one of them.

'A Dancer in the Dust', by Thomas H.Cook  This book taught me a lot about a part of Africa, the beauty of it, but also more importantly, the differences.

I leave you with the quote, as I think it is one that does deserve a little thought.

'“ My comment is that charity is not the same as love,” Martine said.
Gessee had nothing to say to this, but Calley did.
“And what is that difference?” he asked.
“The difference is that charity asks people to give,” Martine answered. 
“Love might ask them not to.”'

What better way to leave you all, than with thoughts of love?

I hope your week is on the whole successful, and that you achieve a lot of the things you set out to do.  And remember, if you don't set out to do them, they will never get done.  Perhaps a lengthy way of saying 'Keep Buggering On' (but do have fun, too)  See you all next week.

*  These are the two painted canvases that were hidden together in the dungarees photo.
What better thing to have than a flying pic-nic?




** It is in Poole, I went there many years ago.  http://www.comptonacres.co.uk/



No comments:

Post a Comment