Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Wednesday 25 May 2016

Can it really be six years ago that me and Mr Cooper were married in  Chichester?



 A lot has happened since then.  We have been to too many funerals, for both family members and friends.  We have both left the teaching profession, and typically, Mr Cooper has gone one better, and has properly retired.  I have discovered many diverse ways of earning not a lot money (but quite a lot of happiness)
 Mr Cooper has had more ailments than me, only one or two of them being imaginary!
 But luckily all have been responsive to treatment.
I gained a significant tattoo to mark my fiftieth year ( a present to myself) and am now designing the next two, to mark my 55th and 60th years.
And of course, this year, we gained a grandson!

Anyway, here we are, 6 years to the very day, back in Chichester, just over the road from the now defunct Register Office, celebrating our anniversary by indulging in something we both enjoy.........
............fine dining!


It was just so good last time, we had to return.




Where are we, both still smiling after 6 eventful years?

Where else but at Amelie and Friends. http://amelieandfriends.com/
We weren't boring in the clothes we wore (why break the habits of a lifetime) but we were a little bit boring in our food choices, and ordered exactly the same dessert, it was so delicious the time before.  (And this time too, I hasten to add.  In fact, I would probably order it a third time....a hint here if you are reading this, Mr Cooper!)

Then, party time's over, and back to one of my ways of making money.
This week's windowsill art at The Greyhound on the Test http://thegreyhoundonthetest.co.uk/
featured some of my knitted cakes, plus pink roses and tulips, courtesy of Juliette.  Please feel free to buy any of the cakes featured, I usually sell them for £8 each.  You can find me in the kitchen window most Tuesdays and Thursdays, or just contact me through the blog.  It would be far more exciting if, after having enjoyed your lunch or dinner,  you stopped me washing up in order to ask me show you my selection of 'French Fancies!'




Then it was time to hang up my silicone mitts for a week (a must for any dish-pig) and set off for Malham, in Yorkshire.  Mr Cooper and his two best mates, Kevin and Werner, were having a week walking together.  I was there to walk mainly alone, shop and cook, and create a significant artwork.

On our first full day there, we all walked together, easing ourselves gently into the week ahead.



This is where our walk started and ended, in Kirkby Malham, at the church of St Michael the Archangel.  We walked through the most beautiful countryside, through glades filled with wild garlic, and also through Airton, a really beautiful little village.
When we completed our walk, just outside the church, we all decided a pint was called for, and headed to the pub that was conveniently next door,  The Victoria.  And even better than its location, we found it to be a free house too! http://malham.pub/ 


But before I joined the men, lured by the ironwork on the outer door, I decided to do some ecclesiastical exploring.  The ironwork was beautiful, and was a really good taste of what was to come.




  The written messages that greeted me upon entering the beautiful church were really welcoming.  What was not beautiful, however, was the previous behaviour of some thieves, who had stripped the church of it's lead roof.  And most unusually for buildings belonging to the C of E, although the parishioners were raising money, they were not demanding donations as a matter of course from their visitors.


I bought a wonderful little book from them, with all the proceeds of the sale going to the church.
A Barry bargain at £5.




When we had returned to the comfort of our cottage, Kevin and I looked through the book.
We both decided that 'Whisky Chicken 'sounded delicious (we had one of the ingredients already...)
I made it the next night and we were proved right!


If you can, buy the booklet.  For a start, you will be helping raise the money, and to follow on from 'Whisky Chicken,' the next one we tried,'Bobotie', pages 26/27 was excellent (and I had been meaning to make it for only 29 years.)  I am now looking forward to making 'Chocolate Juliette', the recipe in the book that first caught my eye.  In fact, I might very well make it when Juliette and Colin are with us, in a couple of week's time.

And onto another book, my choice for our monthly book group.
I first read Candide over half my lifetime ago, and though over the years I have had to discard many of the hundreds of the novels I have owned, Candide has always stayed with me.
Well worth a second reading for me,  but I wonder what the girls thought, after the first time?


I will be finding out very soon, as they are descending on The Gaybells later tonight.
It should provoke an interesting and thoughtful discussion.  Another reason I chose it as was that it was mentioned often in 'A Life in Ruins', the previous month's choice, and a real hit with those present at the gathering.

After completing it very early this morning, before my very early swim, I set out to visit Joyce, always a pleasure, and also one of the many ways I earn some money.
Joyce greeted me as always with a smile and a chat, then gave me two lovely bunches of roses, as a thank you for a previous act of kindness. 
 As with all acts of kindness, well, from most people anyway, it was done without any expectations of a reward.


Aren't they beautiful? That is also what I said after 'You shouldn't have.'  After I had done my best to arrange them, it made me think about the ending in 'Candide', and how being a big cog in life isn't always the best thing to be.  Things also turn out well when many smaller cogs come together.
Not only were the roses beautiful, but also too many for one vase!



And to add to my list of different ways of making money, today I have been commissioned to make a wonderful crown, out of cardboard.  This is sounding like fun!
 I hope you all have a good week Bank Holiday Weekend ahead of you.
Try the Whisky Chicken. If you like the two ingredients already mentioned, you will almost certainly like it (unless you are dairy intolerant, or a little bit boring.)
I hope you have fun times, with friends and/or family.  Don't forget to add a little kindness to the weekend, whether you are on your journey to the top, or are feeling like you are descending instead.
You do tend to reap what you sow in life, even if the harvest is a long time coming.
Have a great time, I will let you know what we all thought of 'Candide' next week.
Have fun, take care, and be kind.

ps I did many walks and meals in Yorkshire, but the significant artwork remained untouched.

No comments:

Post a Comment