Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Sunday 3 July 2016

Is there a theme to this week's blog?  Possibly cats, but definitely flowers!
Last week, at the end of our South Downs Walk, (yes, I have made a complete recovery, thank you) my little brother Mark came over for the night with Jem, and also a very old friend.



I bought this cat for Mark many years ago, as it reminded me of his exceptional cat, Roger.  Roger had eyes like glass buttons, was extremely naughty, and once he, according to Mum, actually flew.  Now it has emerged from Mark's loft, and has been given to my son John.  He is not having it in his house quite yet, as I am enjoying having it for a holiday first.  It is very cheering having a mad black cat sitting on the kitchen table, grinning away.

There is one thing from the South Downs Walk that I must share with you.  Don't worry, no more photos.  'The Camping Cookbook' is one of my most favourite cookery books (along with many of the others on my shelves) and Annie Bell is definitely one of my favourite food writers.
Flapjack was needed as sustenance on the walk.  Usually, I reach for Delia and her recipe, but I could not find her....


So I reached instead for Annie Bell, and her deliciously chewy flapjack recipe.  What a stroke of luck that was!  I will never reach for Delia again in preference to Annie Bell. I have included the recipe for the flapjacks below, as they are the best flapjacks  I have ever made or tasted....high praise indeed!
  I know Werner agrees with me, as having eaten them each day on the walk, he took the recipe home with him, and is now walking and munching around Suffolk and The Alps.





That will be the only reference to that week of walking.
This week, my regular walk has been much shorter, and also a walk that has been much neglected this year.  As the date for the submission for the Jerwood Drawing Prize draws ever closer, I realised that as well as registering for the event, I needed to actually start and finish the drawing!  So most days have found me walking to my shed, where I have been drawing whilst listening to Radio 4, and it has been so good.  Much better than filling, wallpapering and painting, I felt complete and proper again.

The composition for this year's work is roughly based on a previous work called
 'Naked and Surrounded By Cake'.


  Each year, my entry for the Jerwood is quite autobiographical, and here is my drawing after a couple of sessions.  It is called 'Almost Naked and Surrounded by Life'.
 I think when you are approaching 55,' almost naked' is a lot kinder to the viewers, and I do love any excuse to wear an over-the-top apron!



Lets veer away from my drawing now, to focus on another art work that embraces this week's flower theme.  My son John, after quite a bit of research, went to Salisbury to have a very effective rose tattooed on his forearm.  If, like me, you are loving the result, make your way to 'Timeless Ink' in
Fisherton Street, and ask for 'little Sam'.  http://www.timelessinktattoostudio.com/



Leaving behind drawing with needles and ink, and returning to drawing with pen and ink.
With Mr Cooper away this week for the experience of a lifetime, on The Eiger, with his friend Werner, I was able to crack on, or sketch on, and my drawing took shape pretty quickly.  This was just as well, as it needs to be completed and framed by next Friday, when I take it to London.
Sadly with Mr Cooper away,  I was missing my resident art critic.  A tough job, because if I ask what Mr Cooper thinks of my days work, if the answer is 'brilliant' I then say 'You're not just saying that are you?' If he says 'It's fine' the answer would be 'you don't like it, do you?  Only fine?'  And if there are any suggestions made, will I will act on them, but only after being distraught at being critisised.  He probably timed his trip to coincide with the Jerwood deadline!



As son John was with me for a couple of days,I put my pen and pencil away as our thoughts turned to important matters. ' Let's make some elderflower cordial'.   Each year I think about making some, and each year I leave it too late.  This year we were almost too late, and had to walk for a couple of miles to collect sufficient blooms.

Pausing only to admire the dog roses (note the seamless links to flowers) which took our mind off the nettle stings we gathered whilst trying to gather those just out of reach blooms, we slowly filled our bags with blooms.


And, just like I say each year after Christmas, I am determined to be prepared the following year, for a more pain-free and efficient harvest.  After 24 hours mingling with sugar, water, citric acid and sliced lemons, the elderflowers turn themselves into the most delicious cordial.
 And as it is then strained through muslin, all the bits, including the odd insect, are left behind, leaving only a clear, fragrant liquid.


I am going to try some with Prosecco to celebrate the returning of the roving Mr Cooper.  I will let you know what it tastes like.

The drawing is almost ready to be framed now, apart from those all important touches of colour.  You will have to see the final result next week.  It's always good to have something to look forward to!



And now, back to cats, with flowers in a supporting role.
You may have thought that the pottery Roger was a little unusual, perhaps not to everyone's taste (could be a view shared by Mark, as its been in his loft for many a year)
 Well, I love him, and have even found him a freaky friend.
It just doesn't do to look at their eyes too closely!



 Just drawing to a close now, and looking forward to the return of Mr Cooper, who not only is my art critic, but quite often, my freaky friend I have fun with.  That is when he is not following me round the house with the hoover, telling me that I create mess.
I hope you have some fun on the horizon, with or without your very own freaky friend.  In fact I hope you spend much more time having fun than doing the hoovering!
Will catch up with you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment