Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Sunday 7 August 2016

In this week's blog, there is an especially large animal content.  Plus, a real treat.... we get to meet Commander Cuddles and his black, furry brother (un-named as yet)
But first, let's get the weirdest animals out of the way!

Sunday saw myself, Mr Cooper and son John heading for the Rare Breeds Show, at Singleton.
http://www.wealddown.co.uk/ I hadn't been to this event for a few years, and it has certainly grown.  Next year I will get there as soon as the event is open, to avoid a hugely long walk from the car-park to the show.  (I developed blisters doing this, having managed to survive the South Downs Walk!)

On the day when all the animals were created, I think a few were designed when their creator had been for a liquid lunch.  I think every home should have a pair of Alpacas, purely to make everyone smile.  Not only do they look bizarre, they are able to nibble their back hooves, and make mewing/humming noises.


Having been thoroughly cheered by the sight of several Alpacas, we took the rest of the event more seriously, and I set out to find the elusive Icelandic sheep.  They might not be elusive as a breed, but they are very difficult to find when a) you don't know what they look like and b) the pens show the entry number for their occupants, but not necessarily the breed.



Here one is, and well worth the search.  They are small, and their fleece is amazing....long guard hairs and a beautifully dense fleece underneath.  We had a good 'sheepy' chat with their owners/breeders, and son John is considering acquiring a fleece to spin.

Moving away from animal shows..........and towards creative workshops.

After the success of my last workshop, 'Create An Image Using Tissue Paper', it was time for  another. In fact, I was asked to supply another.  I decided that papier mache would be the next medium we would explore, as it is incredibly versatile, plus cheap and easy to do at home.  After a very enjoyable shopping session for the materials, I was looking forward to Saturday, when the girls were coming over.

Being creative can be draining, so I made a delicious lunch to help us along (plus a chilled bottle of white, of course).  I made a brie and walnut quiche from the second Ambridge cookbook. (As Jennifer Aldridge is a farmer's wife, there is still a tenuous link to animals here.....)


The quiche proved so delicious (it was described as Elizabeth's favourite, from the days when Nelson Gabriel had his wine bar) that I give you the recipe for it.  Sometimes in life we tend to overlook the simpler, more un-complicted things.  This quiche, all warm and souffle-like from the oven is definitely  a recipe where the outcome is far greater than its parts.  Try it, and enjoy!


Sadly, Nelson is no longer with us, and probably even more sadly, one of his good customers died a while back too.  Nigel Pargetter, the then boyfriend of Elizabeth.  Formerly known as 'Mr Snowy', for those of us may be no longer young in years, but still young at heart.

The papier mache Saturday arrived, as did the sun.  It proved to be too hot to work in my shed, so we moved into the kitchen to be creative in the cool.
Here we are all are, showing that working with papier mache is indeed fun, especially after lunch.  Birds, mirror frames, hearts and bowls were all created both from papier-mache and mod-roc.


Thanks everyone, I had such a fun day with you all.  We managed to laugh so much without even catching sight of a single alpaca!

As I had spent a week working inside, looking out at the glorious sunshine, Mr Cooper whisked me away when everyone had gone home.  He took me to the Hare and Hounds in Stoughton where I ate crisps and drank wine in the sunshine.  I also discovered their old sign which no longer hangs, but is hidden by plants, propped up in front of the pub.
I was pleased to see it again, as it is one of my absolute favourites.



And now for Commander Cuddles and his recently-named brother, Lord Snooty.  Commander Cuddles is a little bit smaller than his brother, and initially more out-going and friendly, hence their names.
 Here is an indistinct but historic photo recording the first time they both sat together on a human being since leaving their birth home, purring and snoozing.  Those legs belong to me, clad in my kitchen porter dungarees.  There are two kittens there, just count the ears!



And here is a clearer image, with Snoots (I think) in the background, and Cuddles, (perhaps), looking at something with his round kitten button eyes.  As well as an Alpaca, every household should have a kitten or two, every 7 years. 


Next week it is goodbye to kittens for a while and hello to Hunstanton, where I will be staying with my family, Mum, and my bros and their families, plus two boyfriends.  (Having re-read this, it sounds as if I may be tiring of Mr Cooper, and bringing along a boyfriend or two for added excitement, but no.  James and Jon firmly belong to Ella and Olivia respectively, and Mr Cooper is still full of excitement for me.)
 Is is always lovely to spend time with all the family, and North Norfolk is one of my most favourite parts of the England.  I think that is why I love where I live so much, as the immediate countryside is so very similar to that between Hunstanton and Sheringham.



So I leave you with a view taken half a mile from my house, and next week I will join you again with many more views, from in and around Sunny Hunny.  (You have been warned!)

But first, a small burst of culture for you all. 
David Mitchell wrote the brilliant 'Cloud Atlas' and also this novel.



I did think 'What's going on here?' at the end of the first chapter, but changed that very quickly to 'What is going on here is amazing!  And amazingly weird.......rather like our fuzzy friend, the Alpaca.

Enjoy your week ahead........I hope any weird happenings are also pleasurable, and sunshine and fun are still big parts of your weekly life.
See you all very soon now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment