Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Wednesday 5 October 2016

As we have now entered a season of mellow fruitfulness, son John and myself decided to visit the Apple Affair at West Dean, on Sunday.  It was our first visit to that particular event for many years.
It was also an accidental visit, as originally we were going to experience the 'Countryside Weekend' at Singleton,  http://www.wealddown.co.uk/events/autumn-countryside-show/ only to find when we arrived that we had got the wrong weekend!

We enjoyed quite a lot of the Apple Affair, but both decided that the 'apple content' of the event is significantly less than it used to be.

Therefore my photos of the event show significantly less apple images than they would have done.
I think our visit to the vegetable gardens and greenhouses was the highlight of the show.
Here is my favourite autumn flower, Nerine bowdenii, and one I have not yet managed to grow.
Perhaps in my next garden?




And here we are now inside the greenhouse, looking at some bizarre cucumbers.
 I think John is mentally converting them to be pickles in a jar.


After such a mellow start to a sunny Sunday, we returned home chilled and relaxed.  I made use of such a warm afternoon to complete a few 'workshop/shed' jobs, as it is now mighty cold out there when there is no sunshine.

The 'Basking Shark in Cornwall' was packaged carefully, ready to start its journey away from the sea and into Cambridge, where it will meet its new owner, my youngest niece Rowan.  If it hasn't already arrived today, it should be swimming in tomorrow.



I then completed the next section of my coat of arms, which I am designing and painting on Monday afternoons at Trinity in Winchester. http://trinitywinchester.org.uk/
My four most favourite black cats have now been given eyes.  They are, from left to right, Commander Cuddles, Thomas (deceased), Angela (deceased) and Lord Snooty.  Cuddles and Snootles are two beautiful kittens belonging to the oldest male Hofman.  Cuddles can often be found disappearing into the bin in search of food, and Snootles is an elegant purring machine. (Cuddles could soon be called 'El Tubbins', but not when Sam is around, as he is insistent they are called Cuddles and Snooty.)


Then I attached hangers to my ink drawing 'Naked And Surrounded By Life'.  I entered it for the Stride Open Art Competition, which is a yearly event at The Oxmarket, and it has been accepted.  Third time lucky for this picture this year!  http://oxmarket.com/stride-open-art-2016/
The exhibition runs from the to the 11th to the 23rd October . Sadly I will not be able to attend the Private View, as me and Mr Cooper will then be enjoying a lovely evening meal in sun-kissed Corfu.

Thinking of which, I must away to the library soon, to stock up on reading matter for when I am relaxing on the beach/by the pool.  I will obtain a Kindle for when I go to The Falklands, but until then, I do like that old fashioned building that is full of free books to borrow, and helpful people.

Last time I was there, I borrowed the book below, and was really pleased I had done so.


A very different take on a slice of life encompassing The Holocaust, surrounded also by an imagined outcome from such an horrific time in history.




Returning to a much different note, another commission has come my way, and one with a difference.
You may remember the one I completed for Nigel White and his Mission Tent.


Now Nigel and Jennifer have purchased a real poppet of a ledge wagon made for a preacher.
My next commission from them is to combine images of this beautiful wagon, their mission tent, plus a  tall neon cross, for  reasons that will slowly unfurl.


That one will have to wait its turn however, as my next significant artwork is a portrait of two lovely dogs, Millie and Bertie, plus flowers, crucifixes and Frieda Kahlo with her monkey.
Sadly Millie died early this week, a big loss to Jan, especially as she had lived for 21 years.
So a bright golden halo for such a sweetheart will also appear.
I am sure several of you already know them, and here they are for you all.
Millie is on the left, and Bertie the right.



I hope Millie has found a wonderful doggy heaven where she can eat all she wants, and run round with many four-legged friends.


But as I spend today packing for my week in Corfu with Mr Cooper, the only art work I will be taking with me will be far more light-hearted, as befits holiday-mode.  A sketch for another tattoo for a chef, featuring walking rabbits, gym, golf, and that other important element in the life of a chef, beer!

Well I might not see any walking rabbits when I am away, gym visits and golf I will totally ignore, but hopefully a cold beer in the warm sunshine will be on the cards.  Not too many, of course, or I might be seeing those walking rabbits!

We are not on holiday every day, but try to do a little something in the week to give you a 'holiday feel'.  If stuck for ideas, just put on your swimwear, sit in a warm bath clutching a colourful cocktail.  To make it more real, surround the bath by your friends on recliners, also clutching cocktails.  You can take it in turns to 'slip into the pool'.  (Or, just put on bright clothes and visit a cocktail bar!)

Looking forward to seeing you all on my return, hopefully a little more chilled and a little more tanned, plus a little more broke!  Try to emulate the first two qualities, and avoid the last one!

Till then, have fun!







No comments:

Post a Comment