Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Sunday 13 November 2016

This week, me and Mr Cooper stepped away from our normal weekend routine, and also kept a  treasure safely hidden in my pink roses cake tin.  We had a great weekend that not only went with a bang, but several.  In fact, 'many' is a word I would use.  You can't fault a weekend like that.

                                


Saturday was a day of two distinct parts.  Early Saturday found me filling and sanding an upstairs area of The Gables (interspersed with a gruelling 45 minutes spent spinning). After a hasty lunch and a prolonged but necessary scrub in the bath, I packed my overnight bag, and me and Mr Cooper sped down the M4 to Bristol.  We spent most of the journey travelling in the dark, which added greatly to the atmosphere as we listened to a most amazing CD, sadly David Bowie's last release, Blackstar..  
It was my third hearing of it and Mr Cooper's first, and we both said 'WOW' at the end, and we both urge you to give it a go.  http://legacy.davidbowie.com/
The first time I listened to it, I arrived at my destination with tears in my eyes, and that was not just because I had reached The Greyhound, for an eleven hour stint at the sinks.

Our Bristol destination was at Mr Cooper's cousin Alan's house, for his annual bonfire party.  As Alan always holds his party on the 5th of November, it was the first one we had been able to attend, and it was fantastic.  All the things a good party should be, plus excellent fireworks and a brilliant bonfire.



After a night of sitting by the fire, talking away, listening avidly, interrupting, and eating salty snacks which were washed down by an assortment of liquids (I loved the mulled cider, Alan) I found myself climbing the stairs to bed at 2 o'clock.  Next morning at 10 o'clock I came to, to find myself lying with clothes off but jewellery still on, contact lenses intact and a bit hazy as to my location.  
Luckily I  turned over in bed to find no other than Mr Cooper. (He was in a similar state to me, minus earrings and lenses)

After tea and chat we sped onwards again, to cousin Val. Here we had more tea with Val, Ellen, Katie and Maddie before setting out for a pub lunch.  Poppy didn't have tea with us, but did a lot of leaping and licking instead. Luckily, as she is a puppy, this was appropriate behaviour.

What a treat, a party and lunch out!  And what a treat it was.  If you live in Bristol and fancy Sunday lunch, make your way to the 'Gloucester Old Spot'.  http://theoldspotbristol.co.uk/
The roast beef was wonderful, beautifully pink (well, red really, just how I like it) and was kindly supplied by a Dorset Ruby.
  As I felt Mr Cooper probably needed his carbs after the party, I donated a couple of roasties.  This was exceptionally kind of me, as they were delicious.

Then back on the M4 and home again, to a house almost empty of food.  Nearly, but not quite, as in the biscuit tin were many chocolate, toasted almond and ginger cakes that had been destined for the party, but hadn't quite made it.
 We found them just next to the front door, ready to be packed into the car.  Oh well, what better thing to eat, as we settled down to watch 'Strictly'.  (They went really well with a glass of red, too.)






As well as eating gingery cakes, I have been working on my commissions (I can never have too many of these, so if you like my work, why not get one created just for you?)
Recently, I went to photograph an absolute poppet of a ledge wagon, as part of a commission.
I love this photo, I think it's because of the way the red of the wagon appears in other areas, such as the bollard, but best of all, on the garden gnome's hats!


It was a pleasure to do this commission, and here you see the above wagon sitting outside the
Mission Tent.  Nigel was very pleased with the drawing, which can now be seen on his website.  There is a lot of change around us all at the moment, and not all of them bad.  Nigel is experiencing new and exciting changes of direction, and I am pleased my artwork is assisting him in this.
http://www.missiontent.co.uk/book-us 


A few weeks ago now, I was reading the Chichester Theatre's winter brochure, and in it there was advertised a tap dancing taster session.  It might be because I was reading this in a pub whilst sipping red wine that I decided that I really wanted to book a place on the workshop. 
 Which I did, as well as booking to see 'Stepping Out' the evening before the workshop, in order to get me in the tap-dancing mood.

So on Thursday, Mr Cooper and I put on our theatre outfits.  I teamed a silk dress from Monsoon with a beautiful pair of embroidered green Converse, topped with my fluffy purple jacket.
  Mr Cooper looked very dashing in a dark suit, accents of colour being provided by his floral Dr Marten boots, and his shirt covered with a design of yellow, pink and green roses. 
I must say we looked a treat. ( According to us, anyway!)
Sadly, looking forward to the performance was actually more rewarding than the performance itself.  We enjoyed the second half more, but both felt it seemed a little halting and under-rehearsed.



Oh well, there was always the the tap dancing to look forward to.

When I booked the class, it definitely said 'no previous experience necessary'.  It should have said, 'if you have no experience, you are in for a frustrating hour when not only are you having to learn a large variety of moves, but then you will be putting them together to form a lengthy routine.'
Most of the people present had tap-danced before.....there was a handful of us total beginners at the back, struggling not only to learn new moves, but then to actually remember the sequence of events!
I spent so long trying to perfect one manoeuvre, which involved a lot of shuffling and hopping, that later that day I developed pains in my hips.  It wasn't all bad however, and I will be looking to find a class for real beginners in the New Year.

See below for proof of my pain!

Each week seems to contain a real variety of happenings, and at work on Tuesday I was told I had to take an exam in food safety.  So I went on line to prepare for my Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering.  After going through the initial stages, it was soon time to take the actual exam.  I had forgotten how much I love multiple choice questions.  When it says 'Pick out the correct answer,' how tempting it was to choose a) the different coloured chopping boards in the kitchen help to make it look cheery, and c) having a cat in the kitchen helps to keep the workers happy.  You will be pleased to know that I left all temptation behind me, and passed with a score of 100%. 



There it is, proof that I am safe around food, apart from eating it.  I just wish my score had been printed on the certificate too.  I might get a T-shirt designed with it on.........

Well, I must away now, to cook the evening meal for me and Mr Cooper.  I am making Afelia, the pork chops are marinading in red wine, together with crushed coriander and cumin.  The recipe looks very uncomplicated.  If it also proves to be delicious, I will share it with you next time.  

I hope you will be discovering something new and delicious in the week to come, as well as enjoying a diet of existing favourites.
Until then, wrap up well when venturing outside, and when you reach your destination, don't forget to take your coat off, or you 'won't feel the benefit.'
Until next time, stay warm, have fun, and make sure you really 'feel the benefit!'



No comments:

Post a Comment