Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Sunday 4 December 2016

This has been a week of festive feasts, with friends and family.
In fact, on the 'entertainment' front, my life has gone somewhat from famine to feast.
So lets start at the beginning of my '5 feasts in 5 days' week.

Just a little warm-up photo first.  When I took my 'Food Hygiene Certificate Level 2  exam, I had to choose which answers were true or false.
The answer 'Cats in the kitchen help to keep the workers happy' was said to be false.
But here is proof that it is actually true.  Cuddles and Snoots* are enjoying a bowl of kitten milk on George's kitchen table.  George is out of picture, but looking on with fondness and pride.
In fact, the only time he takes them off the table is when he is painting something on it, and doesn't want their delightful paw prints on it.



Anyway, let's go in search of a table in a restaurant now, to find good food and good company.
Before meeting my former head of department in Chichester, I spent a most productive hour wandering around, exchanging pieces of coloured paper for various goods.  This happens rarely for me, but I understand that many people like do do this weekly, for enjoyment!
Then onwards to Wahaca, in south Street, to spend a very pleasant lunchtime with Jeanette.
http://www.wahaca.co.uk/locations/chichester/

We spent a long time catching up, aided by really tasty food, and Margueritas containing tamarind.


Then back to 'The Gables' on the bus.  This was almost as enjoyable as the meal....one comes along every 20 minutes, and for only £2.30, I was dropped off just over the road from The Gables.
 Even more convenient than catching the train (which I couldn't, as they were on strike)

Then back for a slight rest and two exercise classes (yes, really, I had just the one Marguerita) and then onwards to Porters in Southsea. http://www.porterswinebar.com/food-and-drink/
Wow, I could get used to this, thought I.... but probably not twice each day, plus shopping!
In the morning I was exchanging pieces of paper for goods, and these transactions sort of continued into the evening.  I was given some pieces of paper as payment for 'The Swimmers' from it's delighted new owner and my wonderful friend Diane.


And then I shared my initial ideas and sketches for a commission that I am very excited about.
The commission is for another wonderful friend, Janeese.


Here are my initial sketches, and already more thoughts are spilling out, and colours and types of flowers have been confirmed.  Think ranunculus, and pinks, reds, greens and yellows. Fabulous!



I was boring Mr Cooper the other day, talking about art.  (He is very kind, and manages to appear interested)  I was trying to explain that so much thought and emotion goes into the planning of each painting, and this emotion continues to become part of the work as it progresses. The result of this being that they become very precious to me, and it is wonderful when someone else finds them so.
I am really enjoying seeing 'The Swimmers' looking so happy in their new loving home.
And it is very exciting to be working with Janeese, to create just the painting she wants.
 Next step, apply paint to canvas!

After the excitement of Wednesday, it was back to normal for Thursday.  Frugal food and lots of washing up.  Well, almost frugal.  As I was feeling a little 'tired' when I got to work, (going out is both mentally stimulating and physically exhausting, especially when you are 'getting on,' as I am) chef Neil very kindly made me poached eggs on toast to help with my recovery, and at 6pm I enjoyed my usual staff dinner, a large and delicious smoked salmon salad.

Then back home ready for Mr Cooper's big day, as he became older and even wiser on Friday 25th.
I had booked dinner for us at The Richmond in West Ashling, and we had the whole day to ourselves before that.
 How we laughed when we remembered one of Mr Cooper's birthdays when we popped out for a little lunchtime snack in Gunwharf Quays, before dining out that night at Raymond Blancs, in Chichester.
We started out with good intentions, as always, but after enjoying a selection of tapas teamed with a selection of lager, we went on to purchase  2 purple artificial Christmas trees, a pair of Levis plus other luxury items, before catching the train home and wishing we hadn't eaten so much.

'Let's not do that again,' we laughed to each other as we went to the Horse and Groom in East Ashling for a little light snack.  Thank goodness this time we were sensible!




Then after a few hours recovery, wishing we had been a little more sensible, we put on our finery and set off to The Richmond Arms, where I exchanged bits of paper I had received for 'The Swimmers' for an exceptional  dinner for two.  http://www.therichmondarms.co.uk/
Mr Cooper looked a little sad at the size of his starter, but by the end of the third course, he was heartily glad it had not been larger.  Such delicious food, in a lovely, vibrant atmosphere.

The next day saw us driving to Peterborough, for a weekend with Mum.  We had with us ingredients for that night's meal, and it was when I started to cook that I realised that one of us needed a little guidance when buying fish.  There is a distinct difference between a whole fish and fish fillets.
Sadly, as Mum regards a sharp knife as a lethal implement, I was unable to fillet the whole fish which one of us had bought as fillets, but it all turned out rather well.  It reminded me of the time I had asked Mr Cooper to buy two whole fish of his choice for me to cook at night.  When it came to baking them, I found four plaice fillets in the bag, and Mr Cooper insisting it was a whole fish, as it has come from a whole fish...........

Far safer to go back to eating out, and that is what we did, when Mark joined us on the Sunday.
Safely sitting in Maccaloo, we excitedly chose our food from the 'specials' board, as all the specials featured were Polish.  I think as the restaurant is owned and run by a Polish family, on Sunday they add Polish foods to the menu.  I would definitely go there again on a Sunday.
After the usual catching-up chat, I excitedly told Mum and Mark about next year's project, when I would be working for Shake Culture to illustrate and write the community cookery book.  After congratulating me, Mark said that Si was also writing a book, and he thought perhaps he should now write one too.
Si's book is, I think, about management (I have got to catch up with him) and Mark was wondering whether he should jump in at the deep end with his book, and write 'How to Solve World Hunger'
(We did indeed outline a few good ideas here, but we were probably looking at it from a different angle, as Chapter Three was headed 'now eat This Book'......problem solved!
We decided perhaps to start with things you are familiar with, and a title 'Tim Ted Goes Spinning' was felt to hold many possibilities.  If it took off, who knows what Tim Ted could get up to next?

Well, that was the end of the five feasts, and Monday found us heading back to normal life, or what is normal for us.  At Trinity on Monday afternoon,  we began to make Christmas decorations which will be sold in the Winchester Christmas market.  It is a long time since I have used Fimo, and we spent a fiddly but fun two hours.  I made the snowman pendant with the red scarf, but I loved the gingerbread men pendants.




On Wednesday, I went for my induction with Andover Mind,  http://www.andovermind.org.uk/contact-us/ where I will be working as a volunteer with the handicrafts group on Monday mornings.  That will be very exciting, as it will involve planning and running the projects.  This will begin properly next year, and I am even now getting excited, thinking about papier mache, tissue paper, printing........  I think some people are said to get excited thinking about handbags and designer labels........how weird!

As Juliette and Colin set sail soon on their honeymoon cruise to cold lands, I reached for the balls of tinsel wool to knit Juliette a 'Happy First Anniversary/honeymoon/cruise scarf.  When we met before work Thursday morning, it was to excitedly exchange presents, as Juliette had bought for me a December gift, a pair of gingerbread men earrings!  Thanks Juliette, they are fab!  And when did you become a mind-reader? That was were the treats ended for Thursday, as, with the new menu being launched, there was an awful lot of prep, plus Christmas parties too, which left me with an awful lot of washing up.  Still, it will give me bits of paper to exchange for all sorts of wonderful things, like new tyres, car tax, petrol, gin, truffle oil......



Back now for one last food-related paragraph, before I leave you all to prepare some food, as I am cooking a feast tonight for some friends.  Apples need to be poached and caramel needs to be sharded before sieving soup and lovingly adding truffle oil.  Not to mention making pastry with suet and butter....plus starting to sew my outfit for Sarah's wedding.  What better way to spend a day!
 Did I mention Radio 4, too?

When I was at Mum's, looking for things like frying pans and sharp knives, I found a plate from long ago.  We three all had a set of a dish, plate and mug.  Si's set had a design of clowns, Mark had Pinky and Perky, and I had forgotten what was on mine.  And here it is, the sole surviving plate.
I remember it now, particularly the naughty toucan.  Perhaps this helped to inspire me with my lifelong love of pottery.  Or, looking at the toucan, perhaps it explains why I used to drink a Guinness a day, when John and Sam were small!  Be warned when buying gifts for small children!




Just off now to be creative in different directions.  I hope you are enjoying being creative in December, or just building up to be creative.  Enjoy the feasts that beginning to happen now but, as with drinking, eat responsibly.  Remember, 5 feasts in 5 days is the exception, not the rule!
Looking forward to seeing you all soon, after a week of cottage cheese and fruit.

*Real names, Commander Cuddles and Lord Snooty.






No comments:

Post a Comment