Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Friday 13 January 2017


January is well known for being a time of abstinence, most unlike its naughty neighbour, December.
In December, 'plenty' not only seems to be the order of the day, but becomes a very enjoyable, if tiring, way of life.
Christmas came and went, and me and Mr Cooper were a little slow in putting away our decorations this year.  As soon as the last festive feast had been prepared, consumed and cleared away, I was back at work, and Mr Cooper just felt a little slow.
We did get as far as removing the tree decorations from the tree by Twelfth Night, but not actually removing the tree from the house.  That has finally happened, but on the Eighteenth night.
 All is done now, however. 

The cards came down first, and this is the card Mr Cooper gave to me.
It seemed hilarious just before Christmas, and more than a little apt.



 Now I look at it with sadness and nostalgia, as January seems to stretch out before me.

However our spirits were lifted when the estate agent rang, to say we had our first viewing. We had to be elsewhere, so we opted to walk into Emsworth.  It was cold and wintry, but so good to be outside.  If you look really hard, you can see an egret.


We warmed ourselves up in Emsworth with a most welcome drink.....Earl Grey tea.
Then back to find that the viewing wasn't a great success, as the drive is too small for a caravan.
Oh well, better luck next time, and back to work again.

When I have my packed lunch at The Greyhound, I always eat it outside, next to the River Test.
 It doesn't matter that it is sometimes very cold, as I am not out there for very many minutes, just long enough to eat my fruit, nuts and cottage cheese before the lunchtime rush.

You can see why I choose to eat outside, and if you look hard, this time you can see a swan.
(Another white shape on the water)




Then good intentions somewhat deserted me (and several others besides) as we had our Christmas Staff Party to go to.  This year, we went to Kyoto Kitchen in Winchester, which was so lovely.
We were treated to beautiful food and wines to match.  I had taken my flamingo umbrella with me, and I was probably aware that my good intentions had been dissolved in wine, when it became important for Earnest to enjoy the food too.  I know had a fine time, but Earnest did tend to fall over later on, when left unattended.


Time to 'party on down' one more time, back at Juliette and Colin's abode. We were very happy to be joined by 9 weeks old Eric!

Back to the real world yet again, and to more yet clean living during these frosty days,
 and long evenings.
Let's stand a fighting chance of remaining awake to watch all our recorded programmes, and buy some wool, thought I.  The only thing is, the more complicated the garment is, the less chance I have of making sense of the actual programme! (Do the knitting, lose the gist.  Put the knitting down, return to it, start counting all over again.  Or, just give up and fall asleep!)




Well there is always a little light sewing instead.  It's a month till Sarah and Ali's wedding, and I have one thing still left to make for it, although there are many things still to buy... ( lipstick, eyeliner, etc)
After a little while, I was wondering why I had ever thought it was a good idea to actually make a fascinator, let alone wear one!



It seemed counter-productive to attempt something that would actually drive me towards drink, and then it all seemed a whole lot better, and worth the struggle.



As January progresses, I also progress with my resolution to walk round Stockbridge Marsh in my break.  Apart from yesterday, that is, when it was pouring in rain.  Sam and I settled instead to watch an old Julia Child's French cookery programme.
 I will go swimming tomorrow instead, thought I.  Well tomorrow has definitely come, and with it ice and biting cold winds.  I cannot even imagine changing to swim in these conditions.  But swim I must, so I will away now to shake the cobwebs from my goggles.
I hope you are progressing well, into January, and you are still persisting with any sensible resolutions you made.  Silly ones too, if fun and achievable.  Just stay away from those extremely ridiculous ones.  Leave them behind, as we leave behind the excesses of the Festive Season.

Keep moving forwards with humour and determination, whilst sipping hot water and eating fruit.
Who knows, we could get used to it all!
Have healthy fun in the week ahead, and I am looking forward to catching up with you all very soon.

ps.  3 hours later......just having returned from the swimming pool.  It felt wonderful to be in the water, and it feels wonderful now that I am home again, happy and relaxed after my half-mile.
So, perhaps the mantra for the coming week should be 'Feel the reluctance, and do it anyway!'
You know it makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment