Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Sunday 11 February 2018

Looking back at last week, I have been pleasantly surprised and pleased that it was one full of achievements, albeit small ones, but achievements nonetheless.
The week before, I had decided to knit a fashion accessory for me instead of a jumper for Mr Cooper.  This is definitely a selfish act on my part, but this week, not only did I choose to knit the mink stole and not the fox fur from my new book, but I then bought the wool and began knitting.  I did say to Mr Cooper as I looked at the model below that I wished I could also knit myself a new face, and instead of rushing to reassure me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my increasingly elderly face, he just nodded a little sadly, and patted my arm.  Well, I think his jumper might be a little longer in the making now!


 On Monday morning, for the first time this year, my journey to Andover took less than two hours, and I had time for a cup of tea in Asda, before running the 10am handicraft club at Andover Mind.  When I looked in my bag it was to realise with sadness that I had left my current book at home, so I had to look at what Asda had to offer.  They do not have a very great selection of books, but this one caught my eye, and also only cost £4.


 I read the reviews on the back, and positively rushed to the checkout to buy it, and then read it in any spare moments because it was just so good.  One of the phrases on the back is so relevant in describing this book, 'An outstanding debut about loneliness and the power of a little kindness'.


 I also want to share a paragraph from the book with you.  I do think we live in a world where some of us are very quick to judge, and form unfavourable opinions without much knowledge or understanding. I also think that we inhabit a world where more knowledge is needed, especially of the lives and difficulties that other people experience.  This book was a real bargain at just £4, and acts of kindness are even more of a bargain, as they are free.


 And if you are intending to be unkind to anyone, just try two things before you do it.  Think two thoughts first, number one being 'Would I like to hear or experience myself what I am intending to do to this person?' And number two, just take a little time to think of the consequences of your action, beyond how it is going to make you feel.  'Engage brain before opening mouth' sums this up succinctly.  Blimey, I will be telling you to buy more fresh fruit and vegetables soon as well! (As well as exchanging pleasantries with the greengrocer as you do so....)

Another achievement this week included sticking to my exercise plan.  Monday evening, spinning class, Tuesday afternoon, hilly walk for 45 minutes, Wednesday evening, spinning class, and Friday morning, early swim.  Most of this has been in place this year, apart from the Friday early swim, where I have made a variety of excuses to myself, to hide the fact that I didn't actually fancy getting up at 6.30 on a cold morning to go swimming.  But, surprise surprise, I felt a lot better for my quarter of a mile swim, and because I wore a coat, scarf and gloves travelling to and from the pool, and the fact that the changing rooms and the pool were as warm as they always are, I managed to stay warm from leaving my house, to returning. 
The other good thing about swimming first thing is that you then have the rest of the day to fill as you choose.  On Friday we had Rachael come for an overnight stay, with Henry of course, which was lovely.  In the afternoon, after it stopped raining, we set off on a mini adventure to show Rachael where we intend to live, and we had a seaside trip to Selsey.  It was beautiful on the beach with the breakwaters acting as amazing sculptures.  I would have been happy to have made this one as a work of art in itself.



 And this one too.  I did take a lot of photos of 'beach art' and then I remembered what I don't usually take photos of, which is what most people usually photograph, which is pictures of friends and family.  So I thought I had better act more like a normal person.



Here is my family photo, with Rachael looking both beautiful and cool, and Mr Cooper looking much hidden and positively frozen.  Henry is ignoring requests to pose with Mummy and Grandolph, and is intent on heading to the sea with a big stone to throw in it.  And who can blame him?



 He did provide an ideal photo opportunity the next day, when he also modelled his new jumper which I finished in time for his second skiing holiday in March.
  I was 39 before I had my first ever skiing holiday!  But at least I remembered it afterwards, which is one advantage I do have over 22 month old Henry.


Another advantage is that I have a proper bed, and not just a mattress on the floor, poor Henry!

 What else have I achieved this week, I hear you ask.  Well apart from the usual, I have had three trips to the shed, to continue with my Green Donkey cookery book illustrations.  On Wednesday afternoon, I painted in watercolours a plate of Hungarian biscuits and raspberry shortbread.  When I added it to the background, which was done in a combination of acrylic paint and collage, it looked a little pale.


 So the Friday morning before Rachael arrived found me in the shed again, painting Hungarian biscuits in acrylic, and Saturday afternoon, when Rachael had set off back to Leeds found me heading out again, to add a plate and the raspberry shortbread biscuits.  It does look better in acrylic, doesn't it?  If only I had engaged my brain and thought of the consequenses before picking up my brushes!


Now I am working on the main illustrations again, after too long an absence, ideas for more illustrations are forming.  Each chapter is going to have an large illustration at the start of it.  The one above will be for the biscuit chapter, and the one below is for the pastry chapter. 




One idea that has formed itself over the past two weeks is very exciting.  Well, it is to me.  Another feature from life in the 1960s was that every female in our extended family was able to knit or crochet, perhaps both, and sew.  Knitting and dress-making were very normal activities.  Me and my brothers sometimes wished that buying ready-made clothes from a shop was a normal activity, apart from anything from Marks and Spencer.  In those days, it supplied children's clothes designed to please the old-fashioned parent, and not the child!
I will be adding smaller illustrations for single recipes, and these will feature cakes that I have knitted, or sewn, combined with either painted or photographed items.  This idea is very much in its infancy, but the good thing is that I am excited about the prospect of creating cakes in this way.

I explored another food idea that is also very much in its infancy earlier today, when Mr Cooper and I embarked on our first walk together this year, both of us needing to be walking-fit in June.  We drove to Compton, and halfway round the five and a half mile walk, we paused, as is customary, for a slight snack.  It was time to be brave, and try a Christmas present sent from the Haslam clan who reside in Glasgow.  We had half each and chewed it thoughtfully....


....perhaps expecting to encounter a feeler, or a leg or two. But no, there were none.


 The overall sensation was that it tasted very much like a very healthy bar full of things that are good for you (including crickets).  So much so that we then washed it down with a Snickers (me) and a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer and a Mars Bar (Mr Cooper.)
This is the view from where we had our snacks, some of us having had more than the other.


And these are some delightful sculptures that you often find strategically placed throughout the countryside of Hampshire and West Sussex. A really good talking-point, I find.


So another achievement for the week, well two really, if you also include eating crickets for the first time.  I may consider adding them to my rations when I walk the South Downs Way in June.  At least no one will ask me for a bite of them!

Now I will return to where I came in, and continue to knit my mink stole.  It is my intention to have it completed by Easter, ready to be teamed with my (fake) leopard print coat, when I have repaired its lining.  I should have the animal rights brigade coming forward to congratulate me and my new ensemble.  And looking at a close-up of the completed product, perhaps people will be coming forward to request commissions.  I will go so far as to send them the details of the book.  Who knows, they may also go on to make the knitted tiger-skin rug that is featured within.  And yes, I might attempt it myself one day.


So in the coming week ahead, let's turn our thoughts to being kind.  I know not all our thoughts will  be kind ones, as we become irritated and sometimes enraged by the actions of others.  But if we pause before responding, and employ kindness, we can help make the places where we live and work more like places where we would like to be.  Then later on you can find a non-gossipping friend or partner to say 'you'll never guess what so and so did or said' and lay it safely to bed that way.  Try also to find some time to take a longer walk than usual, particularly with a friend, and enjoy a good chat and a laugh in the fresh air.  Why not share a high-energy bar made from cricket flour too?
Looking forward to seeing you all very soon.
I hope you have a week ahead where you also achieve small things, and gain a sense of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment