Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 18 June 2018

There has been no blog for a little while, and now I have so many images that there are to be two, or rather one in two parts.  This way, you can skip the one devoted to The South Downs Annual Walk if you wish, but some of the photos are definitely worth looking it.  Not sure about the writing yet, as it is still in my head at this point!  It never rains but it pours, or words to that effect.

As the day for the start of the South Downs Annual Walk got ever closer, so I aimed to increase my training for it.  But long walks take up a lot of time, which I didn't have much of, as events around me were eating into what little spare time I had, not even enough spare to write my blog in!
So let's draw breath now, and reflect upon those events that have left me busy but not as walking-fit as I would have liked.
In my last blog I showed you the artwork that was destined for The Tate Modern, and here it is, actually at The Tate!  Look on the right hand side of the boat, about halfway up, and you will see my small cubes of drawings and prose.


Here they are again, now on the upper side.  Sadly I was not there to see them in situ, as I was having to work to make up for three weeks without earning partnered with a rather large garage bill.  When you don't earn much money, all is well until it isn't well, and then the wolves come very quickly to the door! 


Many things in life are free though, such as walking in the countryside.
Mr Cooper planned a lovely walk for us both, which was so lovely that I would gladly do it again.  It ended up being a little longer than planned, however.  He also arranged for a lovely hot day, perhaps a little too hot for walking if I am to be critical (something that I almost never am, as those of you who know me well would not believe!) After eight hot miles, I was a little apprehensive about the 106 I had yet to come, with the shortest walk being 9 miles one day, and the longest being 14!  Oh well, let's just take one day at a time, or try to.
Part of the walk took us into a shady wood where we had deciduous trees to our right.......


.........but slightly menacing pine trees to our left.  Look at all the undergrowth that you have with the deciduous trees, as compared to the pines.  It reminded me very much of a Rupert Bear story from many years ago, where Gaffer Jarge was extremely worried about the way the pine trees were creeping ever closer to Nutwood.  Luckily the tree sprites all had a jolly good fight about it, with the native tree sprites being victorious, of course.  Mrs Bear gave Rupert a jolly good tea at the end of it all, whilst Mr Bear relaxed in his armchair smoking a pipe.  As my Mum would say (and she says it quite a lot) 'They were happier, simpler times then.'


Another thing that is free is spending time with your friends.  I travelled to Southsea on the train ( a small charge incurred here) then onto Eastney, to Janeeses' beach hut for a picnic.  It was lovely to catch up with everyone whilst drinking Prosecco and eating first-class picnic food.  And in true seaside picnic tradition, we were nestled in deckchairs and covered with blankets.  The beach at Eastney is magical, and rivals Dungeness for 'beach garden beauty'.


Everything comes to an end, even English picnics.  I know I will see my friends before too long, but when I gave in my notice at Mind in Andover and Trinity in Winchester, I knew I would be saying a big goodbye to people I had worked with for two years, many of whom had become my friends.
Here is the last ever project drying on the line, I think blue is a rather good reflection of how I was feeling about leaving.



Back to 'happier, busier times......'  It was lovely to pay Mum a visit at the weekend before my long walk.  Last year I did three practise walks on the weekend before.  This year I seemed to be stocking up on carbs instead.
On Saturday Mum and I drove to Wisbech to visit Peckover House.  I had not been there since before my children were born, and there was much more to see.  The house is not very large, being a merchant's town house, but it an absolute poppet.  The crowning glory has to be the gardens though, which are just exquisite.  You will have to take my word for it as I took very few photos, being too busy drinking it all in.  Here is one of a tulip tree, and its blossom.  Tulip trees are not very common, and this one was not only large, rare and beautiful, but extremely fragrant too.


I took a picture of these blue flowers as I am starting to gather ideas for my next garden.  It is to be divided into several parts, with herbs being closest to the house, followed by flowery borders and raised beds for vegetables.  Then tucked away at the bottom of the garden will be my new studio/shed surrounded by more mysterious and medicinal plants.  There will be a little fence keeping this area separate, as some of the plants will be poisonous.  These ones below will not be found around my shed, but nearer the house where the plants will be pretty or edible or both.


When we got back from Wisbech we were joined by Mark and George, with Ella.  And although Mum and I had taken the edge off our appetites by sharing a cream tea at Peckover House, we were looking forward to a night of dining at Matonni's.  What better way to end the evening than with an Espresso Martini.  I do wish that Mum and Ella would stop texting each other and just have a proper conversation, though!



The walk starts on Friday the 8th June, and Sam has his 27th birthday on the 10th June.  He had one birthday request and that was for a Battenberg cake but without the marzipan.  I have had stranger requests in my time.  'Lurid green' was Sam's requested colour choice for the icing.
With this in mind I turned up the colour volume in the cakes.



Here is the finished product.  When I gave it to Sam he was thrilled, and said it looked a lot better than he thought it would.  And I agreed with him entirely.


It must be time for another picture of Dilly.  Here she is, with the first part getting towards completion.  Clover and scabious flowers and leaves need to be completed, and then it will be time to start all over again to the right of the door.  I am really enjoying this project.  It may be time-consuming but the results are worth it.  And it must be good for your back, having to sit up straight for 7 hours, with your legs straight out and under the caravan!


Whilst I was in Peterborough, Mr Cooper was in Suffolk, spending time with Susie and Werner.  Sadly we were so busy that we couldn't each manage to do both.  In fact it was so long since we had seen them  that we were using that weekend to also exchange Christmas gifts.  When John returned with the gifts I was overjoyed, as they would ensure that my walking week would be a lot better. 
Mr Cooper was not to be my support crew this time, as he would be away with Kevin in the Lake District.  And when Mr Cooper goes away, so does the sound system.  But no longer!  Now we are the proud possessors of a 'Wonderboom', we both can have music wherever we go.  As well as a jolly good gin and tonic at the end of a hard days walk, hurrah!


So this is where I must leave you now, to pack my rucksack with Compeed plasters, waterproofs, gaiters and sun hats.  Plus sustaining snacks and a large bottle of water.
I hope you will need sun hats in the week ahead, whilst you enjoy delicious sustainable snacks.
Don't forget to drink plenty of water too, even if you are sitting down all day, either on a chair or in a dog bed.  Make sure you look out for the next blog, it is really not very far behind.  I have just got to write it, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment