Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 24 December 2018

It is now Christmas Eve, and I am very excited.  I have always loved Christmas, but there are times when it seems to have become more about hard work, and less magical.  So let's see how this story unfolds, starting three weekends before Christmas.
In the run-up to Christmas, part of it involves making sure Mum has her freezer stocked with Festive Fayre (thank you yet again, Waitrose) and another part was to meet for lunch with her twin sister, and my cousin Steven.  We almost always go to The Sculthorpe Arms, where the food is great, the staff are very friendly and accommodating,  and understand perfectly that 86 year-olds often like to lunch accompanied by their favourite bear.  But when you see what happiness this brings, even Mr Fox thought Paddington was a welcome addition.  He doesn't even drink, preferring to eat marmalade.


Monday morning saw me leaving early so as not to be late for my afternoon in Winchester with Trinity, and students from Winchester School of Art, to start our exciting combined project.

 Starting things is very exciting, but as Christmas draws closer, and visitors are on the horizon, completing things is also very important.  Here is a beautiful hand-sewn quilt that my lovely friend Dawn gave to me.  I have spent the past couple of weeks, having added a backing, hand-quilting it to the backing.  So now, with the quilt, the curtains and pictures on the walls, surely no-one will notice the actual walls?


 As I am still without a studio, our living area has become a substitute, with me printing on the dining room table, and then drying the prints in the living room.
  With Christmas approaching, it was another early morning start to add the final two colours, and to allow another two weeks for the inks to dry.
So here is my completed print.  I am pleased with the result, but even more pleased to be planning my next four designs.  Mr Cooper is now talking about ordering the studio in the New Year, hurrah!


In an effort to have a more stress-free festive few days, food is being prepared in advance, then frozen.  Presents have to be purchased too, but not frozen.  Me and Mr Cooper had a very productive few hours in Gunwharf Quays.  We travelled there by bus then train,  then went into a few select shops.  One of us said " I like that!' The other one then purchased said item.  We did this a few times and then went for a lovely lunch in Les Iguanas, then back to Selsey on public transport with our full carrier bags.  Job done!  Mr Fox found Les Iguanas very relaxing too.



 The following weekend was the Bristol/Portishead experience.  Each year we spend Friday night with John's cousin Val, and catch up with their family, aided by curry and Prosecco.  Then on Saturday, before travelling to Portishead, we stop for a little bit of shopping in Clifton.  Clifton is a magical place anyway, but add that the magic that Christmas brings, and a couple of hours spent there becomes very magical indeed.  Even better, after a large glass of white wine, you can play one of my favourite games.  (I don't play it very often as me and Mr Cooper are rarely together shopping, and I rarely drink white wine.  But to share the rules with you, after a glass of white wine, or two (but never three) you then buy something you see and immediately love.  The wine helps to take away your 'sensible' approach to not spending money on yourself.  Past buys, over the years, include a purple artificial Christmas tree, a bottle of my best perfume, a pair of Levi's, and a back-pack decorated with pictures of ponies and knitted cakes.  Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Here is the result of my Clifton white wine, the most magical pair of Irregular Choice shoes, decorated with black cats and moons, two of my most favourite things.  Plus, they were half-price!



 Mr Cooper then guided me back to the car, in case I fell in love with anything else apart from him, and we set off for Portishead.  Each year my brother Mark celebrates his 'Children's Christmas' on a weekend before Christmas, and we are happily a part of this, plus good friends Philip and Jayne, too. Mark and Philip were at school together.   Mark is nothing if not a traditionalist, and each year we have a fantastic curry with garlic bread on the Saturday night, followed by a ham Christmas dinner on the Sunday.  Mark is also very anxious to ensure these spicy and salty foods don't make us become de-hydrated, so he keeps our fluid levels well topped-up.  This year we broke with tradition to also include cocktails.  With Jem safely in bed, it was fun not only to consume these, but to give them 'exciting' names, which I really can't share with you on my 'family friendly' blog.
Another really lovely thing was that all of us were having such a good time together, whether we were in our twenties, forties, fifties and sixties.  We could never have had this 'closeness' with our parents and older relatives, when we were in our twenties.  Here is Mark's arm, proudly holding up his latest creation.  Although he had wisely served the cocktails in shot glasses, most of us, unwisely, consumed several, although we became a lot wiser the following day.


After a really happy and loving weekend with family and friends, it was then back to a week of work and reality.  But I have a souvenir of the weekend on my mantelpiece. A gift from Jayne, made from the corks we have saved for her, over the past couple of years.  We are so lucky to have family and friends that we really love and care for.  I think this will remain on my mantelpiece after Christmas too, to keep those magical Christmas thoughts alive.



 Only one more weekend to go, full of fun and frolics.  Sadly Mr Cooper was not able to accompany me, as he had a bad cold and was not 'feeling too clever'  So my companion was another John, and it was lovely to spend more time with him, as I don't see too much of my oldest son.
After shopping with Mum and then making up the beds for all, I ventured into Peterborough to do some banking for Mum.  Here is a suitable festive photo, taken just outside Queensgate shopping centre, where I went on to do a little shopping for myself.


 When I was little, my dad had a maroon sleeveless sweater, which he wore at the weekends.  I loved the colour of it then, and now I love the memories it evokes from happy times, long ago.
So now I am knitting my own sleeveless sweater, where maroon will feature strongly.  I will also put my own slant to it, by including many other colours of wool, in gaudy stripes.
 Why do models used on knitting patterns always look slightly sinister?  Please note the festive flowers also creeping into the picture.


 December has been hard work, especially with each weekend having being spent away from home.  Extra early morning starts have been made in order to produce mince pies and to write the occasional blog, but it has been worth it.  The past year has been one of many parts.   We finally moved home, which was, and still is, amazing.  I really love our home near the sea, and I look forward to working to make it feel like ours, both in the house and the garden.  My best homes become a sort of large art-work. (That's probably why it took so long to sell 'The Gables'!)
There were lots of other lovely developments last year.  It was a little quiet on the art-front, mainly because my non-working time was spent getting ready for the move, but friendships flourished.
Here is my card from Rose and Paul, featuring Dilly who I painted over a long, happy, hot summer.


 And here is my card from Deborah, with a message that says it all for this time of year.  Although we sometimes need a souvenir in order for us to remember happy times, and those who are no longer with us, it is lovely to be able to look forward to the year ahead, knowing there will be good times ahead with our loving family, and friends.  And even if some of the times are not so good, we will have the support of our loving family and friends.

Happy Christmas to you all, I hope you have a truly lovely time with your friends and families.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the coming year.  Until then, lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment