Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Wednesday 3 July 2019

In the last blog, Mr Cooper endured, then enjoyed, an organised walk.  In this one, we both embark on an organised cycle ride, parts of which were very enjoyable.
We set off from Selsey, cycling along a new cycle path to Pagham nature reserve, which was our main reason for joining this ride.  One good thing was that we were definitely two of the younger riders.  One bad thing was that our destination was the Brick Kiln Garden Centre for lunch.
Now the majority of the 'no longer young' cyclists had electric bikes, so we arrived there earlier than expected at 11.30 only to find that we were too late for breakfast and too early for lunch.  There was other food available, the couple behind Mr Cooper were tucking into a huge Knickerbocker glory each, something we didn't quite fancy just then.  So just beer and crisps then.


The next day really suited us both.  It was the Selsey Gardens Open Day, so I set off at 10am on my bicycle, and Mr Cooper didn't.  This is me returning after seeing 5 fantastic gardens, in order to offload my two echiums that had cost me 50p each!  If you know your echiums, you will understand just how chuffed I was!



Not only did I see 16 fantastic gardens and speak to so many interesting people, I also met a blue crocodile, ate ice-cream, and bought two Rosemary plants for £1.  Such a good day.


By this time, Mr Cooper had emerged from bed ready for his appearance with the Shanty Singers in one of the gardens.  Here they all are, getting their songs in order.


They were in good voice and very well received, helping also to raise money for the First Responders.  They put a lot into each performance, as you can see from this photo of them all, nearing the end of the performance.  Being so talented comes at a price!




After all that excitement, it was nearly time for me and Mr Cooper to walk the South Downs Way in
 9 days.  Now, I didn't take as many photos as I usually do, but here they are, along with a brief description of the experience.

Day One, Seven Sisters to Alfriston.  Wet start, but dry by the time we got to the Birling Gap.
I was pleased to recognise Kidney Vetch growing alongside Armeria.



I love the Seven sisters, especially the cliffs that remind me of a huge Topic bar, without the nuts.


Day Two, Alfriston to Newmarket.  It was so windy that some people were blown over, and when you lifted a leg from the ground it was blown sideways. Some people gave up totally,  and took the train home when we reached a small station.  No photos today.

Day Three.  Really pleasant weather and walking, I have no idea why I didn't take a photo.

Day Four.  Forty minutes of walking in the dry, then the remaining 10 miles in persistent rain.  By the time we stopped for lunch, I was soaked to the skin.  Here is Mr Cooper with his umbrella, trudging.

Day Five.  No major problems with the weather.

Day Six.  Not my favourite day, but we got to the end just as the heavens opened, result!

Day Seven.  A wet morning which turned into an almost dry afternoon.  As with each day there were stunning views, and I did capture one of them.


Day Eight.  Nearing the end now, this is the view from Old Winchester Hill, before we descend into Exton and the wonderful 'Shoe' pub, hurrah!


Day Nine.  A little challenging on the weather-front, but here is Mr Cooper looking happy as he realises that we are within sight of Winchester, so soon it will all be over!



Now there is one thing that you can't be when walking in challenging weather conditions, and that is glamorous.  Here I am at the end of it all, looking so much like a mad rambler that Mr Cooper had started to call me 'Rambling Syd Rumpo' a Kenneth Williams character from 'Round the Horn.'
I don't think that was a compliment.


However, after a visit to the toilets in the Guildhall, I emerged ready for the reception, with my hair loose, mascara applied, and wearing a frock.  Mr Cooper changed into a colourful shirt, and we were one of the first into the reception.  As we sat at a table for ten, we noticed others filling rapidly whilst ours remained empty.  Then people had no choice but to sit with us, as the room filled.  About half an hour into the 'do', one of the women on our table said' I know who you are now.....'  'Oh' said I anxiously, wondering which hostelry she had seen me slumped in.  But no, she had just realised that she dimly recognised me from the walk!  The transformation from Sid Rumpo to Sue Hofman must indeed have been great!

Mr Cooper's days are now getting to be busier, as he is learning to sing some harmonies with the Shanty Men.  Last week found them all singing outside the Methodist church, with a publicity photo-shoot to follow, with me as the photographer (Thanks Ashley, I really couldn't have done this without you!)  Now I knew that they had to change some lyrics to be more 'appropriate' for the venue (Rollicky bollicky became rollicky frollicky) but when I got there, a little late I have to add, I was surprised to see them all supping from their tankards.  That's early, thought I!  Well, the methodists had certainly pre-empted any leanings towards drunkenness (It's a good job they didn't come with us to the photo shoot, and what happened next!!) by providing tea or water for the singers to sup.
Lucky them!






The reason why I had arrived late was that, in order to be ready with my camera, I had taken some photos in the garden to check on my exposures, but then accidentally pressed a button which altered the function of the camera, in that it no longer took pictures!  After an internet trawl and a panicky half hour, I managed to put right the wrong, and cycle in haste to the Methodist church.
Then afterwards, to the beach for the publicity shots....


And after that, to The Lifeboat, for some publicity drinks, where we all got to know each other a little better.  And after an hour or two, a few of us got to know each other a lot better.

Now life in Selsey is not spent largely in the garden of The Lifeboat Inn.  Quite a lot of it is spent in my own garden where I am working hard to create beds on one side of the garden.  Mr Cooper has created his own bed in the garden too, for whenever the sun is shining, he is found lying down on the grass, clad only in skimpy swimwear.  Luckily, our back garden is very private.
I won't show you any photos of the sun-worshipping Mr Cooper, but I will include one of my now-planted vegetable border, with Marigolds beginning to bloom in the border.



And here is the flower garden, with almost everything blooming, including the Viper's Bugloss.
Would I have been excited about that when I was in my twenties?  Well probably, as I was then working as a full-time gardener!


'What about your art?'  I hear you cry.  I must admit that creating a garden does take up a lot of my time.  Painting the house has ceased for a while (as has hoovering it, cleaning and dusting in general) but I have continued to create lino-cuts.  Here is my seaside seagull.  If you like this, I have several to sell.  Why not buy two and give one to a friend?  My next lino-cut is all ready to print, all I need to do now is to leave garden of the Lifeboat Inn and enter my super-duper shed.  Tough decisions.


I hope you are enjoying the summer, wherever you are, and are able to spend some time out of doors whenever you can.  Not only is sitting in the sun very good for us, topping up our vitamin D levels, but spending time outdoors chatting to our friends and family is very good for us too.
You don't have to have a glass of chilled wine in your hands, you can always take the Methodist's approach, either is fine.
But when the sun is shining, whenever you can, grab a friend, or a book, and make the most of it.
Have fun and see you again soon.

Ps.  Yes I know, drink responsibly and apply sun-cream.  Blah blah blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment