Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Wednesday 5 November 2014

A book in the making.

When I stopped teaching, for a while it was a real pleasure just to work in a gastro pub's kitchen, washing up and doing some veg prep.  Friends that were still working at proper jobs were incredulous, but those who had already escaped understood that being appreciated and chopping tomatoes (who do not argue) was a very pleasant way to spend the day.

After a while comes the thoughts about the next creative step, and it was then that I decided to write and illustrate a cookery book, based on the cake recipes from my childhood, in the 60's and 70's. (Idea formulated in the Autumn of 2012) For a couple of years before this, I had produced a body of lino-prints and paintings based around the food of these decades.

These past 2 years have been very busy, and productive, and my book is in the making.  and lots and lots of creative other things have hampered its progress.  The idea of this blog in to ensure I make steady progress (rapid progress would be better, but steady is achievable) but also to show and write about what happens in the creative life of an artist, well me.

To keep you going, I will add a picture of the celebrated 'hedgehog cake', which was made by Granny Beba, to delight us grand-children.  It was a true visual feast, but a real challenge to eat.  Buttercream in abundance is a real killer!  Now, when I make it, it is both a visual and culinary feast.  Perhaps a thickness of less than 2 inches of chocolate buttercream is indeed a way forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment