Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Friday 20 February 2015

The nights are noticeably shorter and the daffodils are growing tall, but there is no escaping from the fact that we are still in winter.
In fact, here in 'The Gables', we are enduring a real 'low' on many fronts; Mr Cooper has been ill and out of action for over 3 weeks now.
Time to invent a spring all of my own, and put my thoughts in a warmer, more positive place.

The real spring is after all just around the corner.

The Oxmarket are feeling the approach of spring too. They are asking for a submissions for an future exhibition titled 'Awakenings'. http://oxmarket.com/

As I sat in my studio painting away at the odd jam tart and magic wishing chair, I wondered if I already had a suitable image for 'Awakenings' or if there was indeed time to paint one.  And then I saw one of my paintings so familiar to me that I had temporarily stopped seeing it. Bingo!


This image really was painted as a result of an awakening, an awakening that occurred many years ago in Springtime……….

So on the practical side, a little tidying to the edges, and then the completion of the online submission form.

Even Mr cooper agreed last week that it was too cold for me to be working in the studio (he has a fear of my creative processes invading the house). I have to paint in there, but smaller works have made their way to the kitchen table, where I am compiling my entry to the Jerwood drawing prize.  http://parkerharris.co.uk/artists/awards/index.php?ArticleID=277

The first part of my jigsaw drawing is nearing completion. A now familiar sight to you all, the Green Donkey with new life attached ( on a trifle, of course).



My drawing will consist of 6 aspects from 2014, one of which in particular is to come forward into this year and most likely for many years to come.  All will be revealed as the pieces are completed. 

When I can bear to, I leave the warmth of the radiator and go outside to add more to 'Cinderella'.
On the one hand this has become much more fun as, like in decorating, all the ground work is now complete and I am now painting the parts that are fun to add.
But on the other hand, the time to actually paint Cinderella is drawing near.  I must soon admit that all the images around her, including  Siamese cats, green and yellow stripy wings and smiling green fish are all complete, and she is the only thing (and also the most important part of the painting) left to do. Scary.

When younger, how many of you wanted to turn into a princess, like she did?



Like an early Spring, this happens in my head. Now, as then.  

1 comment:

  1. Stay warm!!!! I couldn't even begin to think of being creative if I was cold. Love your Awakening painting.

    ReplyDelete