Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Friday 6 March 2015

The week gone by has been a week of many parts.  
Lets start at the very beginning, with the best ever retro starter; the Prawn Cocktail.


On Monday, I attached my much-loved knitted Prawn Cocktail brooch to my lino-printed apron, and set off for the Cloudhopper Gallery, where I was to model the apron, and another garment at their 'Wearable Art' fashion show.  http://www.cloudhoppergallery.co.uk/#!events

To print and hand-colour the fabric for the apron, then make it had been a very long labour of love, although I am really pleased with the result.


The other garment I modelled must also have been a very long labour of love.  It was a dress made from video tapes woven together with fabric.  This created a great contrast between hard and metalically shiny, soft and matt.  It was a great dress to wear, along with the hair accessory made from records!


The creator of this amazing dress, Michelle Quick is seated on the left wearing black and red.

The evening was a lot of fun and I am already planning in my mind my outfit for next year!
Last year I modelled my skirt and jacket which showed an embroidered earthly and a flying picnic.

When I knitted the Prawn Cocktail brooches, I also gave one to my mum, my friend Sarah, and to my beautiful nieces. One of my beautiful nieces, Olivia Haslam, is providing the culinary element for this week's blog.  And what an element it is!
This coming Tuesday at 9pm, she can be seen as a contestant on Master Chef.
Olivia is a talented and vivacious photography student in Glasgow.
Well done Olivia, I don't know the results, of course, but I hope it was great fun as well as hard work.
Last week I was beginning a drawing based on the concept behind  'Awakening Conscience'.
Painted by William Holman Hunt in 1853.

This week, after intensive effort and much listening to Radio 4, I completed it.
Here it is,  ready to be submitted for the 'Awakening' exhibition at the Oxmarket in Chichester. 
The only thing I have to do now is to confirm its' title.  
With this image, this aspect is as important and as hard as actually drawing it.

She is sitting there, late 50s/early 60s with the realisation that her life is basically going nowhere. 
 Being a housewife is going to be the only thing that she will ever be.  
There is no other identity, or status, or freedom to be part of a larger world.

So something like 'Awakening Conscience…..Is This All It's Going To Be?'
or, 'Awakening Conscience…..This Is What My Life Is'
Not sure about this one, I must do some thinking over the weekend.

If it was me seated there in the picture, at that time, I would have gone crackers!

Oh well, must go and complete another part of my jigsaw drawing, one piece down five to go. 
I have finished drawing green plastic donkeys on trifle.  I am now working on a self-portrait, mainly surrounded by cakes of the sixties. Then, I am attempting to depict, in a surreal way, a figure being chased through Winchester, evading capture and always running. 

 Good job I avoided being crackers, isn't it?






No comments:

Post a Comment