Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 20 April 2015

This week has been a week of unexpected gifts, unwanted doubts and creative resolutions.

Let's have an image to set the scene, and to provide that sometimes tenuous link to that cookery book I am writing.  The link here is cakes, not nudity!


This drawing, 'Naked, And Surrounded By Cake', was created in 2013, and was a departure from how  I was working then.

In 2013, the yearly Stride Open Art competition changed its criteria, as they were 'raising the standards of the exhibition'.  From considering any medium, they then wanted only paintings and drawings, and banned printmaking and collage from being entered.
Hence my work.  Beautifully drawn, but incorporating my images that were not allowed to be entered, as they were prints and paintings with collage.

This return to drawing has stayed with me, and several significant works have been created since I drew 'Naked, And Surrounded By Cake'.  In fact, 3 weeks ago, 'Awakening Conscience', shown below, was exhibited in the 'Awakening' exhibition.



 You can imagine how excited I was when, at the Private View, I was told that somebody was seriously interested in it, and it was almost certainly sold!  Although I had quite wanted it to be part of my Art Trail exhibition, I was also relieved, as with my MOT due in May, money would have been most handy.  In fact I had a really pleasant time in my head, spending the money.

First gift of the week, if unexpected, I collected my unsold drawing at the end of the exhibition!

So, if you think 'Awakening Conscience' is the picture for you, come along to venue 92 during the Chichester Open Studios Art Trail, and it can be yours for less than it would have cost you from the Oxmarket.  http://www.chichesterarttrail.org/

Then comes 2 more unexpected but lovely gifts.  Having totally bypassed Mother's day, son John gave me an Easter gift.  A butter lamb from Poland.  And Sam, who had tried so hard to give me a lovely Mother's day present, but was let down twice by the couriers, gave me my long-awaited bottle of Chateau Musar.  A gift for both of us, as after 2 failed delivery attempts, Sam had been refunded. 
Here are my lovely, unexpected gifts.


The vase is containing wild garlic flowers, another gift  from this time of the year.  We are eating loads of wild garlic in risottos, and will be making lots of wild garlic pesto soon, to see us through the year.  Yum yum.  There are no vampires in Nutbourne!

Lots of gifts there, so where are all the doubts?  Well, with 2 weeks to go until the Art Trail, I got myself into a real state,  thinking about all I had to do before the opening.  The appearance of the front garden, the mess in the garage, the chaos in the back garden, plus all my incomplete work, not forgetting the fact that I am away for the next 2 weekends.  And with working away 2 days in the week, there was not enough time to put everything right.

After a short, hysterical outburst, I got up very early to complete the last two parts of my 'Jigsaw' drawing.  Many thanks to Radio 4 extra, it's really great to be able to listen to comedy at 8am.


Here is the last but one piece that I drew for it.
You should be able to see the completed picture next week.


Another resolution came about.  Last week was full of so many problematical things, which included some things we are not able to resolve at all, that it made my garden concerns become insignificant.

  So, I will complete my art work,  but be prepared to admire a more natural garden when you visit me. A wilderness, or just a great habitat for wildlife.

Another resolution, or perhaps a problem.  after getting so stressed with all I have to do, I have decided to do a sister picture for 'Awakening Conscience'.  At least that will take my thoughts away from attempting to garden.

Lots of writing, so time for a picture.  Son John has bought a sewing machine, and has created so much in a week.  From bags to patchwork quilts.  On one bag he appliqued a picture of his rabbit, Hybernia, and his parents think it is wonderful.
Here it is.


John's brother does not share our view, but I think, as far as art appreciation goes, he still has a little way to travel!

Here are my last 2 resolutions from this week; fruit-filled pastry boats, ready to be collaged onto my 'Toadstool Cake' painting.  Look out for the completed version later this week.

Apricots,
Blackcurrants.

So, gifts, doubts and resolutions.
It would be good if this week is full of hard work and satisfactory outcomes. 
 We shall have to see.












No comments:

Post a Comment