Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 31 August 2015

The preparations for our trip to Puglia are thorough, to say the least.  And all for just 7 days away!
Last week saw the completion of sun dress number 2 (I thought the fabric had a chic, Italian feel)



…...and also a trial run for our 'Couples Come Dine With Me ' night.
But more about that later, when I have  purchased the main ingredient.

As you all know by now, I have undertaken several interesting commissions this year, but my only regular income is from my kitchen porter job, at the 'Greyhound on the Test' in Stockbridge. I work there every Tuesday and Thursday. I also do the very occassional shift at 'Woodfire', also in Stockbridge. where son Sam is the junior sous.
Two weeks ago I found out that I had not been included in the staff bonus scheme. Last week I had a chat with one of the owners, who explained to me very kindly and carefully why I was not included in the staff bonus, despite having worked there since it started, at just above the minimum wage.
 After this pleasant and uplifting chat, I walked down the road to buy the essential ingredient for our 'Come Dine With Me In Italy' starter.
Always a pleasure to visit the shop in 'Thyme and Tides'  http://thymeandtidesdeli.co.uk/  which is the sister restaurant  to Woodfire. http://woodfirestockbridge.co.uk/

I was after a tin of the best tuna ever, in order to make tonne e fagioli (tuna and bean salad).

Iain the co-owner was at the till, and we exchanged the usual pleasantries as I handed over my money for an expensive but beautiful tin of tuna (£4) and was given 10% off, for staff discount.  A bit of a contrast to the Greyhound, thought I!
If you want a treat one day, treat yourself to one of these!

The recipe for the salad came from my well-thumbed book of the week,


and the bean salad was made for Saturday night.

Mr Cooper ate the tuna and bean salad with relish, his only comment being that I should have made more.  But I don't think it was the ultimate tonne e fagioli and next week I am making it using a recipe supplied by Delia.  And yes, she does recommend that it is served with a 'crisp green salad'.  I will let you know which one has the edge next week.
And for all you people out there who think Delia is a little frumpy, click here to watch her whip up a kebab! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAeO9ul-kbU

Anyway, away from tinned tuna, and onto the training we are doing for our major walks next year.
This week we set out for East Meon, again to do a walk which would end up in a pub.  In order to save money, we decided we would only have a drink there afterwards, not lunch.

East Meon is an amazingly pretty village, and our first point of interest was the chuch.  Mr Cooper took me inside to show me the font, and it is amazing too.



It is called the 'Tournai font' and is made from black Tournai marble, It was a gift to the church from the then bishop of Winchester, and was installed in 1150.
 All four sides show the story of Adam and Eve, and it is beautiful.
 (Here endeth the culture section for this week)

We then climbed the hill behind the church, and set of on a walk which started with beautiful views of the valley, then views of dark clouds, then lots of rain, wet nettles and mud.  The sun managed to come out again near the end, so we steamed as we walked.
 And at the end of the walk, the very welcome sight of the Izaak Walton Inn.



The pub is actually a lot prettier from the outside, but welcomes walkers and is very good value for money.  Mr Cooper decided lunch was a good idea.  He had cod and chips, and I had cheese and chilli chips.  Then a couple sat next to us, with Fred the whippet.  He had his own fluffy rug to sit on, and his owners bought a bag of crisps.  They opened the bag, and gave Fred the first crisp.  After a good sniff at it, then a polite lick, Fred declined the crisp which was then eaten by his male owner!!!!!  This became too much for us, and we had to leave.

Here is a lino print of 'Whippet Expressions' which I made for Rachael's 30th birthday, as her and Ben have a beautiful whippet called Banjo.

If you think this linoprint is fab, I made 5, so there are 4 more for sale!

When we left the pub, we agreed that we would not do what we did after last week's walk, which was to eat 3 bars of choclate between us.  And we didn't, we ate 4 instead! (Hershey nut bar, Snickers duo, a Crunchie and a Diame bar.)  We are planning another walk next week, so looking at the trend, we will be having a 2 course lunch in a pub, followed by 5 chocolate bars!

Just off now to buy some printing paper that will enable me to print photos onto material, so next week I should be showing you the beginnings of my own 'memory cushions'.
 But before I go, I will leave you with a joke from Sam.
'Told a joke at a wedding last night.  Even the cake was in tears' (tiers)
When I complimented him on such a good joke, he replied 'I make puns just for the halibut'.


Here is Sam with his brother John, when they were both sweet.

And now,


I think if Sam told you a joke whilst sharpening his knife, you had better laugh!

I hope you have lots of laughs in the week ahead, plus a sensible amount of chocolate bars!
See you in a week's time.  Till then, eat responsibly and laugh irresponsibly.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Where are you going in Puglia..I know it well! We still have a pile of stones ..near Ostuni/Cisternino...My sister-in-law used to live there so almost every year for the last thirty or so years we have visited. You'll have an amazing time I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete