Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Wednesday 9 September 2015

After a three weeks absence I returned to Butser Ancient Farm, to see the Saxon longhouse. 
Wow! Lots had happened in three weeks.  But the mood there wasn't very upbeat.  Darren had had a not terribly enjoyable holiday in France, John didn't seem to be enjoying weaving the wattle walls, and Vivienne the volunteer told me that the whole site was having a bad day, as the onager had not worked.  I tried to look suitably stricken as I wondered what on earth an onager was, to have caused such consternation.  Luckily John revealed all as we hid in the lane, to get away from a hoard of small school children.  Of course, a giant war catapult!



So I did all I could by dispensing just-baked flapjack, inviting Darren over for an evening of red wine and French food, and helping to connect the electricity cables.

  I paused on the way out to admire the pigs.  Even that wasn't very cheery.  I knew the youngsters were almost ready to become different cuts of pork, but a helper told me that the pigs were all going to go, including the two Gloucester Oldspots who have been there a long while.
 I know Mr Cooper is sometimes not terribly observant, but I think it will be pushing it to hide two large elderly pigs in our garden.



 The good news is that  the Anaconda has gained some markings, and I think soon colours will begin to appear.

Then off to buy felt and beads and embroidery threads, ready for my 'memory cushion' project.
I have attached three images to felt, thanks to transfer paper and bondaweb, and my aim is to add hand sewn elements when I am relaxing in Puglia.

It was really hard to choose only three images, but I decided to focus on ones where both John and Sam are together.  I wouldn't want them to know which one is my favourite, now would I?



This one demonstrates quite clearly John's lifelong love of steam, and Sam's lifelong apathy towards it.  Sam is probably striding out in the direction of the picnic, a love which they both share.


This one was taken when we had a lovely week on the Gower peninsula.  The weather was brilliant, amazing for a week in Wales.  
One of the highlights of this holiday for the boys was when a tractor came onto the beach, to remove a sheep that was very deeply asleep!



And a rare picture here of John and Sam together and smiling, and also John smiling whilst at school.

Prepare to be amazed by the work you will see soon.  Hopefully amazed in the right way, as sewing in the evenings whilst on holiday could lead to amazing results that weren't predicted!
Perhaps sew before drinking Primitivo, not during.

Then onto a weekend of pleasure, starting with a party in Bristol, for Jen's 40th and Daniel's 10th birthdays.  The centrepiece to the buffet table, an awesome cake created, cooked and assembled by Val and daughter Katie.


John was born and bred in Bristol, as is evident by his accent, and he has a large, loving extended family there.
It is always lovely to stay, but never quite as lovely the following morning.

But, we had a hangover cure for Sunday, free tickets to watch 'The Rovers' play Oxford 
at the Memorial Stadium.


It was a really good game, and honestly spoilt only by the referee's decisions.  And I for one wholeheartedly agreed with the songs that were sung about him!
The only downside being that, although it was such a sunny day, we had to sit in the coldest, shadiest and windiest stand.  I had a cup of tea in the interval to try to thaw out my hands.  My tip here is, never wear shorts and sandals to a football match, however sunny.

Back to work, but with lovely things approaching on the horizon.  Number one, a week in Puglia.  
And as I haven't done any of the travel arrangements (big thanks Rachael and Jenny here) all I know is we are on the coast at the bottom of the heel, an hours' journey away from Brindisi airport.

And after Puglia, there is a lovely shiny and sparkly star on the horizon.


A firm tick of acceptance to Juliette and Colin's wedding.
We have ticked our menu choices, and I know what colour nail varnish I will be wearing. Sorted, then. And, I am so much looking forward to making their wedding present.  
I just need to do a little research first!

I hope there are lovely things on the horizon for you this week. 
I will be in touch upon my return.  I will be the one with the tan!  Until then, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment