Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Tuesday 29 September 2015

From Puglia beaches, back to pots and pans. Last week, lunchtime squid.  This week, lunchtime sinks!
But, on the positive side, when I returned to work on Tuesday, everybody was really pleased to see me. Tuesday turned out to be a really happy day in the kitchen.


In fact, when Mr Cooper rang me as usual  at 5.30, to see how my day was going, I replied that I was having an unusually lovely day, and I said that "everyone is pleased to have me back."  
"Have you back?" he questioned, sounding surprised.  "Why, where have you been?" 

Luckily, when prompted, he remembered the lovely week's holiday we had just returned from!

This week, I submitted three pieces of work for the Stride Open Art competition.  http://oxmarket.com/stride-open-competition/  For the past 5 years I have entered at least one piece for it, which have always been accepted, until last year.  My first Oxmarket rejection.
The downside about being a 'creative type' is the fact that you have to get used to picking yourself up, and dusting yourself down.

I always do a lot of thinking and planning at The Greyhound, and last year, whilst washing away,  I imagined how lovely it would be if Mr Cooper, on his free day, would appear at the window with a bunch of red roses.  
 I created a watercolour study based on this idea, and titled the image 'Totally Unexpected'.


And once, to surprise me, Mr Cooper did just that! He appeared with red roses, and we spent my break together.  I think the chefs were also surprised later, as we had spent the break over the road in 'The Three  Cups'  But nothing got broken…...

So last year I created a more finished watercolour based on this.  The stacks of plates have not been exaggerated, but I might have knocked a decade or two from my age!
But hey, I am the one holding the paintbrush.



And this is the image that 'The Stride' rejected.
Next week I will be able to tell you if any of the three I entered this year were accepted or whether I am picking myself up, etc etc.

When I was in Puglia, I was so excited by the different plants that were there, in particular the different varieties of cactus, a secret love of mine.
This was a huge cactus, as tall as an adult, which we watched every night whilst enjoying 
our  'Couples Come Dine With Me' experience.  We were watching, not because there were very long breaks between courses (well only once, really) but because the beautiful flowers on the cactus opened fully only at night time.

I took a holiday sketchbook with me, and used it to write down shopping lists for us all. But also to create some studies of this beautiful plant, thinking I might paint it on my return.

Here is one of the studies…….



………….and here a photo of another cactus.  Luckily, this blog contains only 2 holiday snaps!
Perhaps these will become the idea for next year's entry.  Anyway, tune in next week for the results.



Friday saw me and Mr Cooper back in training for next year, when we hope to walk the South Downs Way in 9 consecutive days.  We have only just realised that we will have to walk twice weekly throughout the winter, but in the meantime let's enjoy walking in the sunshine.

We set off from Chalton, climbing to the top of Chalton Down to enjoy extensive views on the Isle of Wight, the Spinnaker Tower etc.



This is the view of St Hubert's Chapel, Idsworth, built in 1053, which the walk took us past.
Inside the chapel are some amazing frescoes.  One lot dates from about 1300, and another created to mark the millennium by fresco artist Fleur Kelly.  Well worth a visit.




 A little known fact about Fleur is that she has a recipe for lovely bread which she calls a 'Roman Loaf.'  Very easy, an overnight rise then straight into the oven.  In fact, I will share the recipe with you, if so desired, at the end of this blog.*


So after 5 miles of stunning scenery, gorgeous weather, and only one serious uphill, we return to Carlton, and to the Red Lion.  It is very picturesque outside.  Inside there are a couple of lovely old bars at the front of the pub, and then an extensive modern dining area.  My advice, a great place for a drink in the old bars, or a snack in the garden, enjoying the view, which is truly beautiful.
 I would not eat there again, as I dislike food that is overcooked or served cold, and I was given both.
It must take a certain amount of skill to get something wrong at both ends of the spectrum!
Peanuts for me, next time (but I will definitely check the expiry date)



On a more cheerful note, here is a cake that was not overcooked. I baked it for my Mum's 83rd birthday, using a recipe from her Mum's cookery notebook. 'Orange Drizzle with Melted Chocolate Topping.  Rather like a Terry's chocolate orange cake. (And yes, I am still in the process of writing the 'Green Donkey Cookery Book'.  Or at the moment, still in the process of baking the contents of it….. )



It was lovely to spend the weekend with Mum, and lovely as always to see Mark, Ella and Jem.
 And Snowy was pleased to spend some time with his various furry cousins.

As well as baking, I continue to sew.  On this picture of the boys, autumn images and train tracks now surround them.  Only one more textile photo to complete now.  Then hopefully the 'Memory Cushion' project will begin to gain momentum, after the summer break.


I need to gain some momentum now, as in an hours time I am taking part in a 'Creative Writing for Gourmets' event.  Mr Cooper and I decided to try different experiences, so next week I will tell you just what this experience involved, as I have no idea what is to happen!


In the meantime, enjoy your week ahead, and make the most of the sunshine.  I will catch up with you next week, with news of acceptance, rejection, and news of just what gourmets write about, creatively!

And here is the bread recipe.  I have often made it, and now usually make 2 loaves from it, not one huge one.  Try it, and see which you prefer.

*Recipe taken from "New Pauper's Cookbook' by Jocasta Innes and Kate Harris, 1992.

Fleur Kelly's Roman Loaf.

Makes 1 large loaf.

I bag strong white flour.                                1 tablespoon salt
1 sachet fast action dried yeast.                     1 tablespoon sugar

Mix together all the ingredients in a vary large (9 litre/2 gallon bowl)
Add enough warm water to make a loose, sticky mixture.  Stir the mixture rapidly with your hand, just enough to combine the ingredients.  Cover the bowl with a clean, damp cloth and leave to rise overnight, or even the following lunchtime, in the warm near the Aga.
The next morning, give the mixture a quick scoop round with your hand, then turn it into a baking sheet sprinkled with flour.  Put it in the bottom of the Aga's top oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the crust is firm and the loaf feels springy.  Stand the loaf up sideways after taking it from the oven, or the base is liable to become soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment