Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Friday 13 November 2015

I don't collect as many objects as I used to. In fact, I am slowly trying to re-house many of my old treasures.  But last week, as I was working away at a hot sink, I thought about my lovely milk bottle that has been with we for many years and 2 house moves, and decided that it would be perfect featured on my 'Fluffy Goes To Heaven' set of paintings.

 I knew there was a reason why I had treasured it for so long.

For quite a while now, my 3 paintings of Fluffy Kitten's demise, and her ascent heavenwards have been incomplete.  Mainly because they had been under a bed and forgotten about for 3 years.

 After her tragic end, she floats upwards beautifully…………….


……….and she does arrive, but without the necessary objects that would make it heavenly for Fluffy.

She did so enjoy a fresh mouse, her next best food being lovely creamy milk.  So last week, I set out to rectify the situation, and supply a heaven for Fluffy.

Almost done now, but not quite.  Thinking that 'heaven' for Fluffy would be quite 'hellish' for the mouse population, I decided that once upstairs, they would be happy to live in celestial harmony.
  And thinking back to a favourite childhood book from many years ago, sugar mice would also feature as well, to replace their chewed-up furry cousins.

And why the Christmas trees? 
 For many years now, I have followed an old Polish tradition, told to me by my sons' Grandmother. 
 In the Poland of her childhood, Christmas trees were not 'planted' in the house, but suspended from the ceiling, so they twirled and twinkled, and were decorated only in frosty silver. 

Next week should see this work complete, and then I need to re-discover and finish my Cinderella painting, before she decides to disappear under a handy bed for a few years.


 And here is my Pink House Christmas tree.  Fluffy used to love lying under the suspended tree, occasionally relieving it of a silver decoration or two.

So, one artwork nears completion, and another is getting underway.
My collection of food items for a very important present is nearing completion.  Not every supermarket sells 'Smash' I have found, but buying 'Spam' has caused no problem.
 In fact, after using the tin in the creation of the artwork,  I am very much looking forward to a little Spammy treat, for not only does the front of the can offer a serving suggestion,


but the back of the can, as well as giving helpful opening advice, offers another tasty idea.

I rather think that I shall prolong the pleasure, and eat the Spam in different ways.Version one, have a Spam salad meal, like at junior school, in the days when salad was lettuce, cucumber and tomato.
 A thin slice of spam just called out to be cut into decorative shapes before being eaten.
Usually a house, for me, with smoke from the chimney as well, if feeling particularly adventurous.


And, having looked at the back of the can with the 'slice and fry' recomendation, perhpas another meal of Spam fritters, chips and beans.
With perhaps a small slice left over for a soggy white bread Spam and tomato sauce sandwich.
We certainly nibbled away at our culinary boundaries in the 60s.

As well as creating visual treats (well, in my eyes at least) this week I put the finishing touches to a reading for Juliette and Col's wedding.  I spent a morning assembling all the thoughts and ideas that had gathered in my head, writing and re-writing them in my favourite creative writing place (bed, of course) before trying the speech out on Mr Cooper.  Then, changing it here and there, adding it to an email  then pressing 'send' so it has arrived now with the registrars, all official, and just a little bit scary, too!

And as a 'thank you' to for Mr Cooper for being so patient with me and my creative processes (as he always is) I decided to spice-up our regular Sunday roast chicken by delving into 'Jamie's Great Britain' and experimenting with 'Empire Roast Chicken'.  The recipe gives instructions for a beautifully spiced and marinated chicken, bombay roast potatoes, and a spicy gravy too.


 My bit was the easy part, combining the chicken and the marinade, and leaving them overnight.
Mr Cooper had the challenging part, to follow a recipe for gravy.  And as I was leaving the house on Sunday for hospital visiting, Mr Cooper was asking me what 'roughly chopped' meant, as he had been asked to do this to the onions. (Sam said 'chopping when hungover.' )
Having explained some technical terms, I went to the hospital for a little lie down….

And then we re-united at 4 o'clock, to put it all together whilst drinking gin, and it was delicious.
So much so that we may well make it again, this Sunday.  The recipe is at the bottom of the blog, if you should also feel inspired to make it.  Drinking gin is optional.

Book club this week, lovely to see the girls again, and catch up with life for an hour or 2, and then discuss the book.  A wonderful read this time, with a totally different slant on some events during, around and after World War 2.  The story has many inter-woven parts, elements that each form their own complete story.  Rush to your nearest bookshop now, tissues needed in parts.



The title reminds me of a kitchen happening this week.  As an ageing female, I am fairly invisible to many eyes, and if you put me in work clothes near a sink, it is sometimes a wonder that I am seen at all.
Just before my final shift on Thursday evening, Sam had found a battery operated label maker.
After much hilarious fun labelling items around the house, he gave me a prominent label to wear to work, in the middle of my T shirt.  "No one will notice it anyway'" he said.


But it was actually spotted towards the end of the shift.  Chef Mickey said, "Did Sam put that on you?'
 "Yes," I replied. "He knows me very well, you see".

Well, it's a good job I find my jokes funny, I can amuse myself for hours, and sometimes have to.

Well, the working week is almost over for me, and the weekend beckons.  We are off to London tomorrow, and I will tell you lots about that next week.
Not everything about it, as we are off to Mr Cooper's annual treat.  The Sexpo exhibition is on for the weekend, in Olympia (replacing Erotica) http://www.sexpo.co.uk/

I hope your weekend is looking exciting too, and the weather will be kind,whatever you have planned.
 Until then, add a little spice to it, and enjoy yourselves.  Will catch up with you all in a week's time.




No comments:

Post a Comment