Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Friday 20 November 2015

Last week Spam, and this week, Smash.


It is reassuring to see that this famous instant mashed potato mix is in fact made from real potatoes.  And just in case you were wondering what mashed potato is, or how to serve it, the serving suggestion really does point you in the right direction.  On a plate, as part of the main meal.
And with my artistic store cupboard very firmly in the 70s, I am getting ready to personalise a breakfast tray, as a present.

It will combine elements of this………….


and of this………………..



…………..but will include many other delicious, and personal elements. Where is the gin and tonic?
My niece Olivia, artist and Masterchef star, with her avocado cheesecake (instagram @oliviahaslam) wrote to say she was looking forward to seeing the outcome of my Spam and Smash artwork.  And so am I, the only thing in the way of that at the moment is I have to start the actual work.
Funny how that is the most difficult part of the process.
But, as the deadline for the completion gets closer (11th December, Juliette and Colin's wedding), the incentive to start it grows stronger, through actual necessity.

I am now between book club books, as our next meeting is in January.  I won't make the mistake of reading the chosen book too early, as then, with reading others afterwards, it doesn't stay so fresh in my mind. (Just older and more forgetful, really).
 So now I am free to have a little explore in the book world.

  I  re-visited a favourite book of mine, 'A young Man's Passage', by Julian Clary. I was working away in the shed one Saturday morning, and Julian Clary was hosting a programme on radio 4.  I had to stop work several times as I was laughing so much.  Shortly after that, we went to spend an evening with Julian in Chichester, as he spoke about his life, and his then new book.



Sadly we were not alone with Julian, having an intimate chat in a pub, but at a venue with many others.  But, 'we spent the evening with Julian' does sound a lot better.
At the end of the talk, I did have an intimate conversation with him, and we talked about that radio programme as he signed my copy.



Last week, I re-read this book, which is both funny and sad, and about surviving.  About life, really. And yes, it could be described as very rude by some, and it is certainly descriptive.
After this, Mr Cooper and I spent a very juvenile and to us, hilarious, half an hour imagining the results of lending this book to some of our more conservative friends.  Then we became sensible adults again, and did normal grown up things like watching the news (Mr Cooper) and preparing meals (me).

Following on from this 'slightly rude' theme, this week saw us dressing up to go on our annual sleaze trip to Olympia.  Once it was to the 'Erotica' exhibition, but this year, 'Erotica' was taken over by new management, and re-branded as 'Sexpo'.
So on Saturday morning we found ourselves on Southbourne station at 8.50am, dressed as if for an exciting night out.  On the 2 trains we had to catch, plus the 2 underground lines to get to Olympia, I was the only person I saw in full evening dress teamed with scarlet 24 hour lipstick and long black  Dr Marten boots embroidered with red roses.  I was a bit worried about the showery weather, as my thick black lashes were thick and black with non-waterproof mascara!  But they survived!

Having been visitors to Erotica, and now Sexpo, for about 12 years, we have witnessed many changes.  It was here that we really first noticed the effects of the recession, and we have seen the number and range of exhibitors diminish in size.  Presumably 'Eroitca' was filled with luxury items.  And, where lots of people used to dress up, some in ways that made our clothes seem positively mundane, this year, most of the clientele looked like they were going out for a Sunday stroll in the countryside.

However, we had a couple of drinks at £10 a pint. then after looking round for a couple of hours, we made our carefully considered purchases.  Then, back onto south west trains for another difficult and disruptive journey.
When we finally got onto the last delayed train for our journey, I refused to stand anymore. We pushed into the small area of first class seating. 10 seats for the whole train.  Another couple, who got on at the next station did the same, and as the journey progressed, they began to look at us, then whisper and snigger.  Whether it was Mr Cooper's black leather trousers, my beautiful boots, or just the carrier bag Mr Cooper was carrying, I shall never know.


But we rose above it, like the grown-ups we are.  But then, we are not fat, ugly and stupid, like them.

Then home, and after a day like that, (10 hours away from home, 3 hours at the exhibition and 7 hours mostly standing on cramped, hot and delayed trains), we thought we needed a little lie down, and a restorative glass of champagne.  Mr Cooper then looked into his carrier bag at the carefully chosen purchases, then said 'Hang on' as he dashed around the house in search of batteries.
As he lay down again, champagne in hand, he said "Better no use that too much, I had to borrow the batteries out of the remote, and its Strictly tonight'.  Who says romance is dead?

And for the end of this week, I have to attend a 'Speed Awareness Course', to avoid gaining penalty points on my licence.  Because last time I went to see Mum, we went for a sedate county drive, but apparently not sedate enough!
We are off to see Mum again tomorrow for the weekend, where we will be driving very cautiously through Lincolnshire (very hot on speeding, apparently) so there will be no chicken roasting at The Gables on Sunday.
Instead, we will be having Sunday lunch at 'The Chequered Skipper' http://www.chequeredskipper.co.uk/# one of my old haunts from many years ago, and where the conker championships are held.

It is a truly lovely pub next to the village green…….


……………… and named after  the Chequered Skipper butterfly, which is local to the area.


So, will Mr Cooper stick with roast chicken, or choose beef? (the latter, I think).  Will Mum choose a pudding that I might have to help her to finish, having had to eat one already, so she feels she is not the only one having one (probably). There are worst things to do in life!

I hope you can get things done speedily if necessary next week, with no speed cameras in evidence.  
I aim to work speedily, but to enjoy my leisure at a slower pace.
Until then, drive safely, and be creative with your leisure time! See you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment