Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Monday 26 January 2015

Last week has been an enjoyable one on the work front.  I have worked away from home only on Tuesday and Saturday, so the rest of the time I have been busily painting, whilst listening to Radio 4 extra.

This week though is not much of a one for painting.  I am working at 'The Greyhound on the Test' http://thegreyhoundonthetest.co.uk/ on Tuesday and Thursday, and at 'Woodfire' http://woodfirestockbridge.co.uk/menu/ on Wednesday.  Since leaving the teaching profession, my only regular income has been as a K.P (kitchen porter/dish pig)  You get a rigorous arms and abs workout, plus food.  The Greyhound is my weekly haunt, and I make a guest appearance at Woodfire, where son Sam is a chef, when their excellent K.P Gabo is having some rare time off.  It's great working with Sam, a day full of culinary treats. And at the end of the day he helps me to wash the floor, as he can't bear to see me do it on my own!


The watercolour sketch above is a study for a work called 'Totally Unexpected'.  It shows me working away, and thinking about Mr Cooper as I often do. Then he appears at the window with a huge bunch of red roses.  You can see why I called it 'Totally Unexpected'.

Lots of my friends were really surprised at me choosing to earn money in such a physical and not cerebral way.  But as an artist, I have worked in many restaurants and kitchens since student days.  After 15 years teaching 11-18 year olds, its great to have a job you leave behind, and where no part of that job is trying to argue with you. Hard-working bliss.

I have Wednesday evening free, the girls are coming round for Book Club.  This calls for Bagna Cauda followed by 'Hedgehog Cake'.
Incidentally, the book we read was 'We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves' by Karen Joy Fowler.  Well worth a read. 'Gripping and intelligent' said one review, and I will go along with that.

Time to go outside now, for another burst of painting.
Pictured below now are last weeks painting of Cinderella, with this weeks below it, so progress can be seen.



Might not be seeing so much progress with Cinderella next time. 
 Probably time to re-visit 'Hedgehog Cake' instead.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue Enjoying your blog and the tales of a painting printing lady..do you have your own press..she says with big green eyes if you do!!! Best regards Lynne

    ReplyDelete