Green Donkey Cookery Book

Green Donkey Cookery Book
The start of the adventure

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Let's start with another link to my book what I am writing……….and also with the Open Studios Art Trail, first weekend complete, and the final one coming up.

Here we have a plate of tempting cakes I made, that are safely in my snug studio, unaffected by the gusty wind, persistent rain and all too brief sunshine that were present on the first weekend.


Although real cakes also featured during the weekend, none were as amazing as the cake I had made the previous weekend.
When asked if I could make a cake for a friend's daughter, who was going to be 30, I first thought about posh, professional-looking cakes, and also the posh, professional amount of time they would take to make.  Then Mr Cooper came to the rescue, and said 'do a hedgehog cake,' so the idea of Daniel was formed.

Components all ready, we set off for Suffolk on Friday, ready to celebrate with Jenny and her family and friends on Saturday.


Here is Daniel, having undergone secret construction in the utility area.
'Why does he look so worried?' you may ask.  I think it's because he is apprehensive of his final decorations, as well as his strategically placed angelica eyebrows.

 Here is the completed Daniel, with a change of expression from slightly disturbed…….


…………….to mentally disturbing!

I bet Jenny was really glad I opted to make Daniel, not a strawberry shortcake, a decorated fruitcake, an assortment of gateaux…….

Many thanks to Jenny, and mummy and daddy Fraenzel for a really wonderful party.

Back now in West Sussex, and just before the Bank Holiday Weekend.  
I love taking part in the Open Studios Art Trail, but each year I vow to be better prepared next time. 

 So, Friday was set aside for erecting a pop-up tent, hanging bunting, struggling to erect a pop-up tent, hanging lots of pictures, crying as I struggled to erect a pop-up tent, hoovering and polishing my studio, finally managing to complete erecting the pop-up tent, then applying Teatree oil to the cuts and tears on my hands, and a tissue to my tears.  

Have a look inside my studio all ready for visitors.  First a view to the right,


And then to the left.


Then came a sewing interlude when my son John arrived with two saxon garments that needed completion for the Beltane festival, where he was demonstrating his skills the following day. (one of the garments was in fact a length of hessian plus a pattern!)  http://www.butserancientfarm.co.uk/

With a few hours of feverish cutting, pinning, sewing and pressing, interspersed with a swimming lesson and a Chinese takeaway, at 10pm John thankfully decided that it would not be possible complete the hat and the trousers, and also sleep.  He drove off armed with his medieval shirt and tunic, having done all the cutting and most of the sewing.  I had excelled with the hemming and pressing.

Just time then to pop down 'The Travs' to join Mr Cooper, and to be joined by his eldest, Rachael, at 11, for a quick drink before returning home for a slower drink.
I was actually the first to bed, at one am, mindful of all that was not yet done.  I am getting very familiar with being intensely active at 6 in the morning.

Tomorrow is always another day.  Getting up to close the door on the sewing party havoc, I created my own havoc in the kitchen, making cakes for potential visitors, then printing labels, and then creating a gallery in the still-standing pop-up tent.
At 10.30 all was almost ready, and my face resembled Daniel's, when candles had been added.

So began three days of visitors, chats, tea drinking, cake eating, a few sales, wind, rain and finally sun.
Here is a glimpse of the outside, in the brief time when summer appeared.

First that wonderful pop-up tent, 3 legs of which descended at intervals throughout the long weekend.



And then my lovely sturdy, dependable studio, plus vulture.



Do come along to see me this weekend, venue 92, if only to eat cake, and see if me and the pop-up tent are still standing!  http://www.chichesterarttrail.org/




No comments:

Post a Comment